Concordia completes thrilling comeback

Stingers win home opener 80-70 against the Rouge et Or

The men’s squad hosted the Université de Laval Rouge et Or on Thursday, Nov. 6 in their regular season home opener. The Stingers entered the game after a shaky 6-6 preseason record. However, the Stingers showed plenty of desire, scoring 43 points in the second half to win 80-70.

The first quarter was very high scoring, with 46 points scored by the two teams. The Rouge et Or won the tipoff to start the game and scored first on a three-pointer by guard Karl Demers-Belanger. The Stingers responded with three straight baskets to take an early lead, two of which were scored by Ken Beaulieu. The Rouge et Or would storm back and score 18 unanswered points to take the lead, ending the quarter with a score of 26-20.

Photo by Briana Thicke.

The Stingers scored first in the second quarter on a three-pointer by first-year point guard Ricardo Monge. The Rouge et Or would continue to increase their lead as Demers-Belanger and then forward Thibaud Dezutter would hit back-to-back three-pointers. Seconds later, the Stingers would respond with another three-pointer by Monge. The Stingers entered the locker room at half-time down 43-37.

Laval came out firing in the third quarter, with center Boris Hadzimuratovic scoring the first points on a two-pointer. A minute later, forward Antoine Beaumier would hit two free throws.

The Stingers finally got their first point of the quarter with seven minutes left on a basket by fifth-year forward, Gabe Riche. At the end of the quarter, the Stingers went on a run and scored six straight points which included four free throws by forward Mike Fosu. Stingers were now down three points entering the last quarter.

The fourth quarter was a textbook demonstration of great shooting and defending by the Stingers. Beaulieu started the quarter with a two pointer and then a free throw which tied the game at 62. Concordia would break the tie on their next possession with guard Mukiya Post hitting two free throws.

The Rouge et Or would make things interesting with four minutes to go as they were only down by two. The Stingers then took control and responded with another six-point run. The defining moment of Concordia’s impressive second-half play was when Beaulieu stole the ball and ran down the court for a monstrous slam dunk that electrified the fans.

Stingers head coach John Dore was impressed with his team’s effort in the game.

“We executed well offensively and dominated defensively especially in the fourth quarter,” he said.

Dore also had great praise for Beaulieu and expects the rookie to be a big factor for the Stingers.

“He will be the most exciting player in our conference,” said Dore.

After the home opening win, Monge added how good it felt to be on the court in front of the home crowd.

“It is really exciting to win our first home game.”