Stingers trample Gaiters from start to finish

Women’s basketball team earns season’s first victory by defeating Bishop’s 87-24

It was a double-header between the Stingers and the Gaiters on Thursday, Nov. 13, with Concordia’s women’s basketball team hosting Bishop’s. After losing to Laval last week, the  Stingers got their first win of the season and dominated the Gaiters. The home teamed cruised to an easy 87-24 victory.

After winning the opening tipoff, things went south for the visiting Gaiters for the rest of the game. Forward Richelle Gregoire got the game’s two first baskets for the home side. The Stingers scored 12 points including a three-pointer by guard Daphne Thouin before Bishop’s got their first points of the game on a couple of free throws by forward, Marie-Pascale Duhamel.

Thouin would hit her second three-pointer late in the first quarter and the Stingers would be leading 27-7 going into the second quarter.

Third-year player Tamara Pinard-Devos controls the ball against a Gaiters’ opponent. Photo by Brianna Thicke.

The Stingers would strike first in the second quarter with another basket by Gregoire and  Concordia would continue their scoring streak on baskets by Kaylah Barrett and forward Marilyse Roy-Viau.

The Gaiters would only get back on the board in the second quarter on a basket by forward, Mara Marchizotti.

Both Barrett and Gregoire would hit three-pointers late in the quarter to extend the huge lead.

The Stingers led 45-9 going into the locker room at halftime. As good as the offence was, Concordia’s defence was the backbone of their strong play as the Gaiters could only muster two points in the second quarter.

Stingers would get on the board first to start the third quarter as guard, Tamara Pinard-Devos hit an opening three-pointer. Barrett would then hit back-to-back three-pointers to increase the Stingers lead. The Stingers called upon Aurelie d’Anjou Drouin from the bench to give some of the Stingers’ key players a break. D’Anjou Drouin ended up scoring seven points in the quarter.

The Gaiters would score four straight points including a three-pointer by guard Joy-Celine Bermillo, but the Stingers would end the quarter with a three-pointer of their own by Thouin. Down 73-14 entering the final quarter, the Gaiters would score the first points of the fourth quarter on basket by guard, Marie-Laurence Dulud and then get free threw by forward, Danielle Lumley.

From the moment the game began, it was clear that Concordia was the better squad. The Gaiters have a relatively young and inexperienced team, which showed in the way they could not keep up with the Stingers. Veteran players like Barrett, who scored 20 points in the victory, set the tempo of the game for the Stingers and looked in control throughout the contest.

Stingers head coach Keith Pruden attributed such composure to his team’s win.

“We played organized basketball which is a reason why we were able to score many points,” said Pruden. “I was pleased [with] how aggressive we were. Which is what you want from a team contending for a title.”