Montrealers gather in honour of Charlie Hebdo victims

Gunmen’s attack on French magazine’s bureau makes 12 victims, 10 injured

On Wednesday, Jan. 7, three armed attackers entered satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo’s office located in Paris and opened fire on the employees, killing 10 and wounding over 10 others. Two policemen were also casualties of the shootout.

Thousands of people braved the cold and gathered in front of Montreal’s French Consulate situated on McGill College Ave. on Wednesday night in solidarity with the 12 victims of the attack.

Another vigil was organized by Montreal City Hall in which Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre participated. A great number of these spontaneously organized gatherings took place around the world.

The movement adopted the iconic phrase “Je suis Charlie” in support to the victims of the attack.

Charlie Hebdo is a satirical magazine known notably for its 2006 caricatures of Prophet Muhammad, but also for its overall tendency to stir up controversy. A Molotov cocktail attack burned down the publication’s office in 2011. Charlie Hebdo was the target of numerous threats in relation to their controversial cartoons. Three well-respected cartoonists, Charb, Cabu and Wolinsky, were of the 12 victims.

An 18 year-old alleged accomplice delivered himself to the authorities. French police is still looking for the two other suspects, two Parisian brothers.

Thousands braved the cold weather to attend Wednesday night’s vigil. Photo by Keith Race.