Concordia’s Art Matters to take off March 7

Festival showcases colourful and innovative submissions from our students

The artistic genius of Concordia’s undergraduate community is set to be featured in the 15th edition of the university’s Art Matters festival. The student-run festival embraces diversity and showcases the talent of our students through a variety of media, including painting, photography, sculpture, dance, video, design and creative writing.

In addition to promoting and galvanizing budding artists, the festival also provides them with some “real life” experience, as they work closely with curators and other art community figures to assemble and display their work.

The expansive and all-encompassing festival takes place over the course of two weeks in March, displaying work at venues scattered around the city. Not only are there vernissages and live performances to attend, the festival boasts a number of lecture series and workshops that are open to the public.

The full calendar of events and their descriptions is available on the Art Matters website (artmattersfestival.org) though here is a preview of some of the events that the Concordia community can expect as the festival unfolds.

Opening Party @ Theatre Plaza (March 6)

A number of electro/funk/garage rock musical acts are expected to perform at the opening party, as well as an appearance by the intriguing “League of Lady Wrestlers of Montreal.” More performers and details TBA.

Intimacy: Limits and Consequences @ Galerie Yellow Fish Art (March 7)

This exhibition will examine how interaction and sentiment have changed with the development of technology and a digital sense of distance. The gallery’s description says that “working with themes varying from HIV to representation to religion, the artists showcased illustrate the limits and consequences of intimacy in our day and age.”

Oppression Aesthetics @ Galerie VAV (March 9)

Using powerful, engaged images, this exhibit “addresses questions of social issues, feminism and gender, cultural identity, propaganda, environmentalism, and historical conflicts through a variety of approaches and mediums.” It is meant to incite reactions in the viewing public, and inspire action.

An Evening of Alchemy @ Loyola Chapel (March 19)

This seems to be the wildcard event, with an ambiguous description that states the event will test the boundaries between artist and audience, working with time as a constraint. No idea what to expect—take a chance.

0
Kevin Soltany’s quirky, psychedelic whiteboard art captured the attention of Hingston Hall’s residents. Photo by Rita Latif.

The black marker of Hingston Hall

Austerity and the developmentally disabled