Longing for colder days: A letter to summer

Why is summer still lingering? Photo by Cristina Sanza.

Leaves should be changing colours but people are still wearing shorts. Where are you, fall?

Dear summer,

It seems like our time together is almost over. School is back in session, the days are getting shorter, and there’s a chill in the air—the sign that fall is just around the corner… or at least, there should be a chill in the air. Just when I thought things were over between us, you crawled your way back into my life once again. You made us think the warm weather was gone once and for all, but the last few weeks have been some of the hottest of the season and all I can do is admire the rays of sun as they flood over my desk as I sit in class.

Sure, it’s nice to hold on to the last taste of summer for a while longer, but it’s too little, too late. You weren’t there when I needed you. All those times when I wanted to go to the beach with my friends or spend a lazy day soaking up some sun by the pool, you were nowhere to be found. I was left out in the cold and wasted away precious days of my vacation. When I wanted to have a picnic in the Old Port, you decided it was time for a torrential downpour. But now that my days are filled with lectures and homework, you crank up the heat? No thank you.

I had some fun times and made some great memories, but now that September is underway, I’m tired of being sweaty, tired of the incessant mix of body odour and who knows what else on the metro, and most of all, tired of never knowing what to wear. Is it going to be cold this morning? Oh wait, it’s supposed to be 30 degrees celsius later and I’m running out of clothes to wear. I only have so many T-shirt-and-short-combos I can pull off, so it would be nice to make use of my closet full of chunky sweaters, jeans and cardigans.

This is what we should be seeing. Photo by Cristina Sanza.

It’s time to move on: fall is on the horizon, and I’m looking forward to cool breezes and seasonal lattes. But mostly, I just can’t wait until winter. Good ol’ winter; we’ve always gotten along so well. Maybe it’s my love of hot cocoa, or my penchant for thick, knitted cardigans, but whatever it is, winter will always be my favourite. Winter means shamelessly curling up in a ball under your warmest blanket and watching Netflix for hours on end. There is no guilt for spending a beautiful day inside when the snow is falling. A world covered in a pure, white blanket is all I need.

So, summer, it was nice while it lasted. We had our good times , but now we have to say goodbye. I’ll remember you fondly when I start getting tired of the snow.

Until next year,
Marco