Older men in Canada have caught the porn bug

Study shows the number of men over the age of 50 watching online porn

It turns out your grandpa may be watching Internet porn, a new study shows.

Stop Procrastinating, an evidence-based productivity website run by a team of national broadsheet newspaper journalists and researchers, conducted a study with 1000 men over the age of 50 in Canada to determine how many are watching porn online and how they feel about their habits.

The study found that 47 per cent of men over 60 had watched porn in the last two months, and 29 per cent of men over 70 had viewed porn in the last two months.

It is a widely known fact that the Internet has made many things easily accessible, from credible research, to shopping and even banking. Porn is no different; videos and photos of any kind are available with a quick Google search. In fact, among the group of men over 60 who admitted to watching porn, 76 per cent of them felt that this was because they were able to access it easily. If they could only purchase porn in a shop (such as a magazine or film), they would not bother.

Even more interestingly, 82 per cent of the men who had still watched porn prior to having an Internet connection admitted to viewing porn on a more regular basis now that the Internet is available to them.

The study found that 33 per cent of participants said watching porn was like a drug and they felt the need to watch it. Fifty six per cent admitted to being unable to stop watching. When the men went on to describe how watching porn made them feel, 58 per cent felt what they were doing was wrong and 45 per cent felt guilty about their habits. Another 34 per cent didn’t think it was an issue, but this statement was the least reported by participants.

“Our survey shows that Internet pornography is now affecting every generation,” said Tim Rollins, a research director at Stop Procrastinating, in a press release. “Older men are either turning to pornography out of loneliness or because they have access to it through the Internet.”

Rollins said evidence shows pornography is fuelling depression. Older people in particular are at risk, as watching porn can inhibit them from seeking company and living fulfilling lives, Rollins said. Through the study, 21 per cent admitted to watching porn because they were lonely, and 35 per cent felt it was because they couldn’t meet a woman. From the figures they’ve gathered, Stop Procrastinating has published a guide to help beat porn addiction.

There is a difference between viewing porn for pleasure and having an addiction to it. Watching porn is not a harmful act in itself, nor does it mean one will become addicted. Watching porn becomes problematic when one has a complete dependency on it, to a point where it affects other areas of their life, including relationships, careers, finances and mood, among others. An addict will continue to fuel their addiction despite the negative consequences.

From this data, some of these participants noted addict-related symptoms, but no data was collected to determine how many, if any, are actually addicted.

While learning your grandfather is surfing the same porn sites as you are might make some uncomfortable, take comfort in the fact that he no longer has to risk his neck trekking out to stores for magazines. He, like the rest of us, has discovered how to view porn from the comfort of his own home.