Sports in the news

Tim Tebow gets cut

It’s not quite early September without some form of attention-grabbing Tim Tebow headline, so without further ado: Tim Tebow has been cut by the Philadelphia Eagles, in the most closely media-covered third string quarterback competition in recent memory. The former first round draft choice was told to turn in his playbook early Saturday morning at the Eagles’ practice facilities. Tebow, who last suited up as a New York Jet in 2012, has an uncanny ability to attract excessive amounts of unwanted media attention. After a brief stint as a college football analyst, the born-again Christian was given a second chance in the form of an opportunity to compete with former Eagles quarterback Matt Barkley for the team’s third string quarterback responsibilities. Barkley was traded and Tebow was released.

Reigning champs humbled in Quebec City

In an epic rematch of last year’s Dunsmore Cup, the Laval Rouge et Or defeated the University of Montreal’s Carabins 12-9 with a last second-field goal in Saturday night’s season opener. With 15,000 spectators on hand, the Rouge Et Or re-established their vaunted home field advantage after snapping a 70 game home unbeaten streak in last weeks preseason loss to the UBC Thunderbirds. Points came at a premium as both team’s defenses were especially stout throughout the game. Snake-bitten by two missed field goals, the usually automatic Carabins kicker L.P Simoneau’s failed attempts proved to be the difference. Laval second year quarterback Hugo Richard, looked comfortable in the pocket despite throwing an interception early, completing 22-34 passes for 301 yards through the air. Look for them to rely more on the second-year signal caller as they look to compete for another national championship this season.

Drogba nets three in first start

Didier Drogba, 37-year-old Montreal Impact striker, scored three times in his first career start, as the Impact defeated the Chicago Fire 4-3. The former Chelsea legend made his impact felt Saturday night in front of a sold out home crowd. Drogba’s hat-trick makes him the first player in Major League Soccer (MLS) history to record the feat within his first two club appearances. The win pushed the Impact into sixth place in the MLS standings, ahead of rivals Philadelphia Union.