Four killer fall concerts you shouldn’t ignore

Mitski brings her lovely brand of noise pop to Montreal. Photo courtesy of Daniel Dorsa.

Though the year is almost over, there’s still a slew of exciting bands coming to town

Parquet Courts

Though many post-punk revivalist outfits have focused on the dissonant, textured and cold details of bands like The Fall and Joy Division in crafting their sound, Parquet Courts owe more of their sound to The Feelies. Combining the clean and fuzzy interplay of the seminal 80’s post-punk band with a more serrated garage rock aesthetic and lyrics dripping with snark, Parquet Courts have already left a sizable mark on the current indie rock landscape. Punctuated by driving basslines, dueling jangly guitars and a thrilling, live-wire energy, Parquet Courts’ brand of frenzied harmony and lackadaisical charm make them the perfect act to close out a great year.

Parquet Courts play La Sala Rossa on Dec. 8.

Protest The Hero

Technically unimpeachable and proudly Canadian, progressive metal outfit Protest the Hero have endured countless mutations over the course of their almost 15-year journey. As the band’s technical prowess reached new dizzying heights, so did their impeccable ear for harmony and dissonance, melding the two into a fulfilling and impressively forward-thinking package. To celebrate the 10th anniversary of their seminal debut Kezia, the band have embarked on a North American tour, performing in intimate venues as a gesture of goodwill to die-hard fans. Playing the album in its entirety, Protest the Hero is sure to put on a nostalgic and emotional show for all attending.

Protest the Hero play Les Foufounes Électriques on Nov. 21.

Mitski

Though often compared to singer/songwriter Angel Olsen, Mitski’s brand of indie rock shares more in common with the boisterous power pop acts of the early 90’s. Utilizing the sparseness of certain songs to stunning immediacy, her scorching fuzz pedal is always a mere step away, ready to engulf everything that stands. The results are blissful, emotional and steeped in noisy guitars reminiscent of Weezer’s Pinkerton. Amidst the cacophonic crunch, Mitski even employs a number of uncommon instruments to grant the soundscape more variety, including a spooky theremin on “Townie,” the fiery lead single from her critically lauded breakthrough album Bury Me at Makeout Creek. Fans of Pixies, Weezer and PJ Harvey owe it themselves to catch this exciting new voice in concert.

Mitski plays Casa del Popolo on Nov. 24.

King Crimson

One of progressive rock’s pioneers and one of the most influential bands in modern music, King Crimson starts and ends with its mastermind, guitarist and songwriter Robert Fripp. Having gone through countless lineup changes, Fripp stands as the pillar of the band, enlisting immensely talented performers and pushing them to their absolute limits with each new incarnation of the band. Currently in their eighth and featuring a grand total of three drummers, including R.E.M. and Swans percussionist Bill Rieflin, King Crimson’s unique brand of improvised chaos is not to be missed.

King Crimson play Théâtre St-Denis on Nov. 16 and 17.