Skiing: A sport of fast slopes and good times

Graphic by Charlotte Bracho.

A spotlight on the somewhat extreme winter sport that has everyone bundling up for the cold

Snow, slush, ice; all of these are elements that have been conquered by skiers over the years.

Graphic by Charlotte Bracho.
Graphic by Charlotte Bracho.

Skiing is a dynamic and exciting sport that is different each time you go. If there is a single drop or rise in temperature, the conditions in which you ski change drastically, making for new and exciting adventures each time.

For most, skiing is more than just a sport. It is a community of people often called ‘weird’ or ‘crazy’ for willingly going out in freezing temperatures and paying large sums of money to slide down hills and mountains covered in snow. This creates a bond between skiers like no other.

Of course in the skiing community there are subcategories and slang not known to others who do not practice the sport. This makes it seem hard to integrate into the sport and the people enjoying the freedom of it because it can seem so exclusive.

Personally, in the last few years, I have seen less skiers out on the slopes and more snowboarders. Many believe there is a constant tug-of-war between the two sports, when really they share the mountain together. Recently though, skiing has found its spark once more thanks to park skiing, which the younger generation enjoys more. It is quite different from the traditional downhill racing, which many find ‘stiff’ or ‘lame.’

Even if someone doesn’t want to practice on a team or do crazy tricks in the ski park, there are other options for those who just want to go out, breathe in some fresh air and have a good time with friends. Groomed trails, which are runs that have the snow properly kept and compacted, are open to everyone and adjusted by difficulty level. Of course putting all beginners on the same run doesn’t always end well, but that is part of the excitement of skiing.

It’s unpredictable and each time you go on a run, you can always find something new and different about it. Conditions tend to differ and there are always new approaches to take when completing a run.

Sometimes you might fall, but the important thing about skiing is that even if you fall, you have to get back up and finish the run. The drive to not give up is there because you’ve got a whole community behind you. Often you’ll hear chants and laughs encouraging you from the lifts, because everyone is out there to have a good time, even if you mess up.

The lack of snow the past few weeks has made many anxious, as skiers want to get out on the hills. So much so, even  Mont Saint-Sauveur, one of the most famous ski hills 45 minutes north of Montreal, has decided to make fake snow to open the season. However, there will be many other options once the snow hits the hills. Mont Rigaud west of Montreal is best for beginners, while Mont Bromont is better for intermediate skiers wanting a bit of everything (groomed trails, parks and glades).

If anything, skiing is a fun way for friends to go out, be active and maybe sometimes sneak in a few drinks while having a great time.