Stingers lost out against Laval

The CIS cannot compete with the juggernaut that is NCAA March Madness. Photo by Marie-Pierre Savard.

Concordia fails to win in home-and-home against the Rouge et Or

The Concordia Stingers hosted the Laval Rouge et Or on Jan. 7. These were the first games of the second half of the RSEQ regular season and the first home-and- home of the year. Both Stingers teams lost, with the women losing 66-60 and the men losing 68-60.

Point Guard Ricardo Monge looks for an open man against the Rouge et Or. Photo by Marie-Pierre Savard.

The women’s basketball team started the game off well with great three-point shooting. The team got two three-pointers by forward Richelle Gregoire and shooting guard Marie-Ève Martin to give the Stingers a 17-8 lead midway through the first quarter. The Stingers lead dwindled late in the quarter as the Rouge et Or went on a 7-0 run, which brought the Stingers lead down to two points.

The second quarter saw the two teams trading baskets between one another. The Stingers took a 28-19 lead halfway through the quarter after another three- pointer by Martin. Later on in the quarter, the Rouge et Or cut the Stingers lead to 30-29 at halftime.

In the third quarter, the Rouge et Or took their first lead of the game with three minutes left in the quarter thanks to guard Claudia Emond. Emond hit back-to-back threes to give the Rouge et Or a 41-38 lead.

The fourth quarter saw the Stingers commit quite a few turnovers at key times in the quarter. The Rouge et Or ended up winning the game because of excellent three-point shooting from Geneviève Derome and guard Raphaëlle Côté. The Stingers did tie the game at 54 on a three-pointer by Martin, however Derome came back with a three-pointer of her own which was the turning point in the game.

Stingers Guard Jaleel Webb goes up for a basket against the Rouge et Or. Photo by Marie-Pierre Savard.

According to Stingers coach Tenicha Gittens turnovers and bad shooting from the free throw line were key to the Stingers loss.

“They got six points off second-chance points and another seven off of when we went 7-13 from the free-throw line. We gave up 13 points where we shouldn’t have,” said Gittens.

On the Men’s side, the Stingers led 19-13 after the first quarter because of clutch three-point shooting from forward Jaleel Webb who scored six of his seven points in the first quarter.

The Stingers opened up the second quarter with an 8-0 run led by forward Jean Daniel Mathieu who scored four of his six points on the run to increase their lead. The Rouge et Or made a comeback to make the game interesting as forward Thibaud Dezutter took control of the game scoring 11 of his 18 points during the quarter. The Stingers led 33-29 at halftime.

The Rouge et Or started the third quarter with a bang as guard Karl Demers-Bélanger hit a three-pointer which led to a 7-0 run and the lead. The Stingers shooters went cold for the first four minutes of the quarter up until forward Ken Beaulieu got a basket. The Stingers rebounded and made it a one point game, 43-42 after point guard Ricardo Monge got a three-pointer. The Rouge et Or went on a 6-0 run to regain their lead. The quarter ended with the Stingers trailing, 52-47.

The fourth quarter started with a Rouge et Or three-pointer by Dezutter and a 9-0 run. The Stingers ended up scoring nine unanswered points to make it a one-point game halfway through the quarter. In the last five minutes of the game, the Stingers were not able to score a single point.

After the game, Stingers coach Rastko Popovic said his team lacked in terms of offensive rebounds and precise free- throw shooting. For Popovic, those were the reasons why the team failed to put up the win.

The following night on Jan. 8, the Stingers played Laval in Quebec City. The women’s team got blown out by a score of 57-31. The Stingers had a shooting percentage of 16.1 per cent and only made 10 field goals. The Stingers leading scorer was forward Marilyse Roy-Viau who had 11 points. On the other side, the men’s team lost 71-62. The team lacked three-point shooting as they only made four out  of 25 tries. Stingers forward Ken Beaulieu had 17 points in the loss.  

The women’s team is now 1-5 on the year and the men’s team is 2-3 on the year. Next week, the Stingers basketball teams will participate in a home and home with the UQÀM Citadins.