Sports in the News

Wideman suspended indefinitely for hitting linesman

According to NBC, Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman has been suspended indefinitely by the NHL and will undergo a hearing after the All-Star weekend. Wideman, a Kitchener, O.N. native, hit a linesman from behind while going back to his team’s bench after being hit by another player. Wideman claimed it to be “completely unintentional” and apologized to linesman Don Henderson. The mishap could cost him a suspension of up to  10 games. Wideman, a 10-year NHL veteran, has two goals and 17 assists in 48 games for the Flames this year, according to nhl.com. This could be a tough loss for an already struggling Calgary team that occupies the sixth and second to last place in the Pacific Division.

Raonic suffers semi-final loss in Melbourne

In an exciting match, Canadian tennis star Milos Raonic was unable to become the first Canadian man  to reach the finals of a Grand Slam tournament. The match went to the limit of five sets, with each set ending: 4-6, 7-5, 6-7, 6-4, 6-2. Andy Murray, the No. 2 seeded player in the world, was able to capitalize off of Raonic’s mistakes in order to come back and win the match. After going up two sets to one, Raonic went to the locker room for treatments on his right leg. He came back a few minutes after but was never able to re-establish his fast serve or move fluidly on the court. It cost him the win and he even described the loss as one of the most heartbreaking moments he has had while playing tennis, according to TSN. Andy Murray went on to play Novak Djokovic in the finals, and  Djokovic won the match.

More trouble for Johnny Manziel

The former Heisman trophy winner and first-round draft pick of the Cleveland Browns is continuing to make noise for his off-the-field antics. According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Manziel was investigated following an alleged assault on an unknown female Saturday morning. The Cleveland Browns quarterback was not arrested when the Fort Worth Police arrived on the scene as they deemed the woman in question as “not cooperative.” According to ESPN, NFL spokesperson Greg Aiello said the league is aware of the situation and is currently looking into it. Manziel and the Browns have yet to make a statement regarding the incident. According to USA Today, this isn’t Manziel’s first time being investigated for assault, as in October of 2015, Manziel was questioned after witnesses saw him get into a physical altercation with his girlfriend.