Stingers lose big against the second place Redman

Stingers defenseman David Hunter prepares for a faceoff. Photo by Kelsey Litwin.

Captain Olivier Hinse’s hat trick was not enough to overcome McGill’s offensive abilities

After outshooting and outplaying their opponent, the Concordia Stingers could not capitalize on their chances and lost to the McGill Redmen on Feb. 5, by a score of 7-3.  

“We were all over them and I think that even if it’s in a loss I’m proud of myself and I’m proud of the guys,” said Stingers captain Olivier Hinse. “We’re going the right way towards the playoffs.”

Despite McGill having five players in the Top 10 for OUA scoring, Concordia was able to outshoot McGill 43-38. However, with McGill’s finishing ability, the Stingers gave up too many scoring chances and didn’t receive the timely saves needed to compete. The chances given to McGill were enough to give the Redmen a substantial lead early on.

“It’s [McGill], a good scoring team so when you give a lot of scoring chances, for sure they’re going to put it in so we got to limit their scoring chances,” said Stingers coach Marc-André Element.

McGill’s first goal came on their first power-play opportunity and it was a nicely set up goal with defensemen Dominic Talbot-Tassi setting up forward Mathieu Pompei for an open net on the right side.

Later in the first period, Concordia had some bad luck on a blocked shot which became a breakaway goal for McGill. Hinse replied with his first of three on the night after Frederick Roy gave a saucer pass to Hinse, who put it past Redmen goaltender Joe Fleschler. McGill’s Liam Heelis replied less than a minute later to restore the two-goal lead.

After the first period, Coach Element decided to make a goaltending switch after Billingham let in three goals on 14 shots. Element said the move was intended to give a bit of a boost to the team.

Concordia controlled the play in the beginning of the second period but had trouble putting the puck past Fleschler who started the period off with two big saves to keep the two goal lead. After a few chances, the Redmen got another breakaway and once again capitalized on it.

Discipline was an issue in the second period for the Stingers as forward Antoine Masson received a four-minute penalty for high sticking.

After the penalty, Hinse came back with a highlight reel  goal after an incredible individual effort, which saw Hinse score on his backhand while falling. Once again though, McGill displayed its finishing ability with a slap shot from the point to bring the lead back to three.

The key difference in the deciding period was a great goaltending performance by McGill’s Fleschler. Hinse noted that McGill certainly got lucky when it came to their netminder.

“The goalie seemed like he didn’t see the puck at all but he was finding it so sometimes goalies are good like that so we’re giving him credit,” said Hinse.

The game was put out of reach in the third period with two quick goals by McGill. The first of these goals was due to a breakdown in coverage behind the net leading to an easy wrap around goal for McGill, while the second was a floater from the top of the zone.

The Stingers were unable to mount a comeback. McGill was undisciplined throughout the final period and this lead to two five-on-three opportunities for the Stingers, which led to Hinse’s third goal of the night.

The rivalry was in full force as there were 13 penalties called, with 37 total penalty minutes, including a major penalty on a high cross-check by Concordia’s Dany Potvin. The two teams will meet next week on Feb. 12 at Ed Meagher Arena.

The loss puts the Stingers at a record of 8-12-5 for the season. The loss is also their fifth in a row.