Vegan or not, these restos are worth a shot

Outside Vegan Rapide. Whether you’re vegan or not, these restaurants have reinvented classic dishes many of us love. Photo by Melissa Martella.

Narrowing in on some of the top places in Montreal that offer plant-based foods

For the casual culinary observer, this might be the time to explore Montreal’s garden of veganism. Whether you are a hardcore vegan or simply a plant-based enthusiast, here are the best spots on the island to enjoy veganism at its best.

Aux Vivres – 4631 boul. Saint-Laurent

The famous pioneer restaurant of Quebec’s vegan culture sits in the heart of the Plateau.  Founded in 1997, Aux Vivres proposes vegan and healthy dishes that would probably trick any meat-lover in town, and even better, get them hooked. This vegan eden has a broad range of options to choose from for those willing to energize their sometimes redundant sprouts-and-tofu-only diet in a cozy, retro ambiance. You’ll be delighted by their crispy, flavourful veggie burgers and homemade vegan tzatziki, not to mention their mind blowing “fake” cheesecake or their super moist carrot cake. The staff, the food, the vibe—everything about Aux Vivres is amazing. For a full experience, try their souvlaki plate or buddha bowl. All of their signature sauces and sandwiches are also available at the Aux Vivres market next door.

Inside Vegan Rapide. Whether you’re vegan or not, these restaurants have reinvented classic dishes many of us love. Photo by Melissa Martella.

Vegan rapide – 6206 Sherbrooke W.

Vegan Rapide has everything a nostalgic vegan could dream of. The eatery offers a bunch of reinvented fast foods that will satisfy any soul food cravings. The restaurant provides the finest plant-based foodies in town their monthly junk fix. Choose from a variety of pizzas and sandwiches, like their innovative fall vegetable and faux pepperoni “Étoile” pizza. Or perhaps their mind-blowing BLT, made with coconut bacon. You could also go all out and order their vegan poutine—the dish may appear bizarre at first, but remains nonetheless a keeper. There is a great variety of flavours and options, and all of their plates are $15 or less. If you’re around Loyola campus, you should definitely give them a try.

Crudessence – multiple locations

With several locations across Montreal—namely on Rachel, St-Viateur and Mackay, Crudessence is mostly known for its 100 per cent organic, vegan and raw cuisine that never fails to deliver a healthy, light and flavourful experience. Their white, simple, and zen decor does attract yoga enthusiast crowds, but don’t get intimidated: you don’t have to be a hippie or a vegan to appreciate Crudessence cuisine. With dishes such as japanese black bean noodles with macerated kale and grilled seaweed, caesar salad with aubergine bacon and garlic brazil nuts or pesto lasagna with macadamia nut ricotta, meat is probably the last thing that’ll be on your mind when looking at the menu. If a banana mochachino smoothie sounds pretty good to you, you might have found your next date location.