Women denouncing war

Participants of all genders and races united to oppose the impacts of war, militarization and occupation. Photo by Savanna Craig

Protesters march down Ste-Catherine Street in solidarity with women who face occupation, militarization and war

“One, two, three, four, we don’t want your fucking war,” chanted a crowd of approximately 150 people along Ste-Catherine Street on Nov. 26, denouncing violence against women—specifically regarding the oppression and violence faced by female minorities. “Five, six, seven, eight, organize and demonstrate,” the group continued to sing as they marched towards Dorchester Square.

“I am an immigrant woman of colour, and we come in all shapes of anger,” said Maya Acosta to the crowd of 60 people in Norman Bethune Square, where the group initially met at 1 p.m. The march was organized by The International Women Alliance (IWA) and Women of Diverse Origins (WDO), two grassroots-based women’s organizations.

“I’m here because the biggest form of violence is war and militarization,” said Jennie-Laure Sully, a participant at the event who works for Mouvement contre le viol et l’inceste, an organization that helps women who are victims of sexual violence.

She said there are many things the population can do to stop violence against women. “But if we don’t address the issues of war, militarization and occupation, then we’re missing a big part of what we need to do,” said Sully.

“We support peace, democracy and social justice,” said Nancy Brown, a member of the Raging Grannies, to the group of people assembled in Square Dorchester after the march along Ste-Catherine Street. Four members of the Raging Grannies, an activist group of older women who mock the stereotypical image of grandmothers, began to sing an anti-war tune to the group.

“It’s time to say no,” they shouted following their tune, as the crowd clapped and cheered.

“As we stand here, women are being raped and killed,” Ellen Moore, a member of the Raging Grannies, told The Concordian. “We’d like it to change—we grannies have the time and we have the rage.”

“Women are not put into the spotlight often,” said Moore, adding that women of minority groups face great oppression in war.

She said we are very lucky not to live in places deeply affected or conflicted by war. “That’s why I’m [at the demonstration]—because I can be,” said Moore.

This article has been updated for accuracy purposes. The Concordian apologizes and deeply regrets the error.