Stingers come from behind against Toronto

The Concordia Stingers were down 3-0 after the first period but found a way to win. Photos by Ana Hernandez.

Concordia’s men’s hockey team mounted a comeback after being down by three goals

The Concordia Stingers men’s hockey team came from behind to defeat the University of Toronto Varsity Blues 4-3 on Jan. 6. The Stingers allowed three goals in the first period, but were able to rally back with four unanswered goals, improving their record to 13-5.

The Stingers started out the game with promise, dominating the play in the opening minutes. Concordia forward Anthony De Luca drew a high-sticking minor two and a half minutes into the first period.

The Stingers were unable to build any momentum with the man advantage, and only fell behind from there. The Varsity Blues scored on their own power play five minutes later, with forward Aidan Wallace tapping in the puck past Stingers goaltender Marc-Antoine Turcotte.

With eight and a half minutes to play in the first period, Varsity Blues forward Ryan Kirkup put Toronto up 2-0 with another tap-in from a behind-the-net pass from forward Matt Heffernan.

Turcotte, playing in only his second game for the Stingers, looked uncomfortable in net for the first period, allowing awkward rebounds on multiple shots.

“It was not his fault at all. We gave them too many good scoring chances,” said Stingers head coach Marc-André Élement of Turcotte, who was pulled after allowing three goals on six shots in the first period.

“Sometimes you have no choice [but to change goalies],” Élement said. “It was just to spark the team. He’s going to bounce back.”

Philippe Cadorette, who served as starting goaltender for the Stingers in the first half of the season, came in relief of Turcotte, and stopped all eleven shots he faced over the next two periods.

“We just needed a little change, and Cadorette was ready,” said Stingers captain Olivier Hinse. “That’s what you need when you change goalies.”

Concordia started to make up lost ground in the second period. Midway through the period, the Stingers converted on one of their four power plays, with forward Philippe Sanche one-timing a pass from De Luca.

The game featured nine power plays, as the Stingers took five minor penalties. The Varsity Blues brought a physical edge to the matchup, sparking undisciplined play by both teams.

The Stingers will play the Ryerson Rams on Saturday night.

“We had to adjust a bit. We had to be more physical in the second and the third,” Élement said. “[Playing] physical doesn’t mean to be stupid, just to be in the play and involved.”

Stingers forward Charles-Éric Légaré scored shorthanded late in the period from a big individual effort, driving hard to the net and squeaking the puck past Toronto goaltender Andrew Hunt.

“We know we can come back. We know we have a strong offense, we believe in ourselves,” Hinse said. “From line one to four, anyone can score. We’re all going every night.”

Hinse himself scored two goals in the third period, both at even strength, to give his team the win over Toronto. In 2017, Hinse has six points in two games.

“I was anxious to start 2017 on the right foot. It’s my last year here,” Hinse said. “I’m kind of sad and excited at the same time.”

The Stingers play again at 7:30 p.m. at Ed Meagher Arena on Jan. 7, hosting the Ryerson Rams, the second ranked collegiate team in Canada.