CSU finance coordinator resigns for personal reasons

Archive photo by Nelly Serandour-Amar.

Soulaymane El Alaoui fourth finance coordinator to leave position in less than two years

The Concordia Student Union finance coordinator arrived on the packed ninth floor of the John Molson School of Business on Nov. 22.  He asked for the attention of the students on council and then read a message aloud:

“My resignation is effective immediately. It was a pleasure to work alongside you all, and I will be available once my replacement is chosen to help him transition into the role. Thank you for your support. Best regards, Soulaymane El Alaoui.”

He then walked out of the room. El Alaoui cited personal reasons as the cause of his resignation. El Alaoui told The Concordian he made the decision “a couple days ago.” Internal affairs coordinator Veronika Rydzewski has been named interim finance coordinator.

El Alaoui was elected as the finance coordinator in March 2017. He is the fourth CSU finance coordinator to leave the position in less than two years. In March 2016, Anas Bouslikhane resigned from the position before finishing his mandate. His replacement, Adrian Longinotti, was asked to resign by the CSU after the executive body deemed him unfit to act as a representative of the student union.

In November 2016, Longinotti was replaced by Thomas David-Bashore, who was the finance coordinator from December 2016 until the following CSU election in March when El Alaoui was elected.