The pressure of finding love

Graphic by Alexa Hawksworth

Dating does not define me

When you are in your 20s, you are young, filled with energy and invincible. Yet, the daunting pressure to get into relationships is all around young adults who often see many of their friends and peers in committed relationships.

There are no boundaries or limits on our ability to experiment as young people. Still, finding love is not as easy as logging onto Facebook nowadays. Unfortunately, snapping your fingers won’t immediately get you into a relationship. I believe falling in love in your 20s is hard. There is a definite pressure to have the perfect love life, which society has been advertising to us in commercials and romantic movies.

Dating apps seem to be the future of finding love. Apps like Tinder, Bumble and OkCupid are no longer sites for casual dating or hookups. According to Global News, people are using these apps to find lasting relationships and love.

Having experienced my fair share of dating apps, the pressure to find love exists. Having access to such apps seems to make the dating game easier. It implies that single people have no excuse to not have a partner. At the tip of your finger, you can swipe to your next Prince Charming without meeting them in the real world.

So when you fail to connect with someone, the disappointment is difficult to overcome. As a result, you ask yourself: “What is wrong with me?” or “Why can’t I find love when there are so many opportunities?” But you must remember: the problem is not you! The problem is society’s brainwashing. Being alone does not necessarily mean you are lonely—there is a difference. How can you love someone else before knowing yourself?

I’m trying to love myself first—before finding love—because dating does not define who I am. My life will not be dictated by apps like Tinder. The pressure of finding love definitely exists. Still, if you have a good support system, I believe love will eventually cross your path.

Graphic by Alexa Hawksworth