Slice of Life: What’s up, Concordia?

Graphic by Wednesday Laplante.

Everything you need to know about life on campus

If you’re a new Concordia student, adjusting to spending most of your week on campus can be a bit of a struggle. Here’s everything you need to know about navigating life on campus in a nutshell.

Coffee: Le Frigo Vert (1440 Mackay St.) has some of the cheapest coffee around the downtown campus, as well as plenty of bulk foods and goodies that are great for a snack in between classes.

Around Loyola, pickings are slim, but the Hive Café (in the VA building) always pulls through. Some funky cafes around the downtown campus are Pigeon (1392 de Maisonneuve Blvd.) and Café Aunja (1448 Sherbrooke St. W.).

Food: On weekdays during the fall and winter semesters, from 12:30pm to 1:30pm, People’s Potato on the fifth floor of the Hall building and the Hive Café at Loyola have FREE lunches, as long as you wash your dishes afterwards. All lunches are vegan-friendly, and they usually call for seconds around 1:15pm, so stick around!

AlTaib (2125 Guy St.) has super cheap falafel and shawarma pitas for $3.48 (or $7.60 for a trio). If you’re looking for some late night (re: drunk) munchies, Star Noodle (1871 Saint-Catherine St.) is the best place to hit up.

Study spaces: If the weather is warm enough, check out the patio behind the Hive Café on the downtown campus. When the months start to get colder, try the Concordian Greenhouse on the top floor of the Hall building.

Services: Concordia University Television (CUTV) is the hidden gem of all hidden gems. Located at 2110 Mackay St., on the fourth floor, CUTV allows every undergraduate student, regardless of department, to take out professional grade filming equipment for up to a week. Also, if you’ve got an EP in the works but no studio, they have a fully decked out soundbooth at your disposal!

Ever wanted to learn how to 3D print? Or need help cleaning out old software from your laptop? Swing by the Technology Sandbox on the second floor of the LB building, and their technicians will help you with all of the above and so much more — for free! More information about both of these service depots can be found on the Concordia website.

At the end of the day, despite all the cool cafés and restos around campus, the best solution to surviving the hours you will spend on campus is simply this: reusable containers. Make yourself some coffee in the morning, pack yourself a decently sized lunch, or bunch of snacks to munch on — whatever you need to make it through the day. It’s better for your wallet and more importantly, mother nature!