In brief: Space tourism, power outages, cyclist safety

Graphic by @spooky_soda

World in brief

Ireland’s president, Michael D. Higgins, signed a bill officially repealing the country’s abortion ban. The Eighth Amendment had given the same right to life to an unborn child as its mother. Irish Health Minister, Simon Harris, was quoted in The Irish Examiner saying he would like to make abortions free for all women in the country.

In his first interview as Cuban president, Miguel Díaz-Canel spoke out in favor of same-sex marriage. The recognition of same-sex marriage is included in the draft of Cuba’s new constitution, which is currently being debated by the country’s National Assembly.

South Africa’s highest court ruled that laws prohibiting the recreational use of cannabis were unconstitutional, effectively permitting private use and growth. South Africa’s parliament now has two years to rectify the country’s laws to align them with the constitution.

Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa will become the first tourist to visit the moon, after signing a deal with the private aerospace company SpaceX. Maezawa, an online retail mogul, also plans to invite a small group of artists on his trip, which is scheduled for 2023.

Alexandre Benalla, a security official who worked for French President Emmanuel Macron, faced questions from France’s senate after being fired for allegedly assaulting May Day protesters earlier this year. Macron allegedly knew about the incident more than a month and a half before Benalla’s firing in July.

Spain’s foreign minister, Josep Borrell, has claimed that U.S. President Donald Trump advised him to build a wall across the Sahara desert to solve Spain’s migration crisis.

Nation in Brief

The severe thunderstorm and tornado that started Friday afternoon and moved quickly across the Ottawa-Gatineau area caused extensive damage to its electric transmission system resulting in power outages. Quebec’s political party leaders took the day off from campaigning on Saturday to visit the Gatineau area. Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard announced that $1 million in emergency aid would be given to the Red Cross to help victims left without a home.

The Town of Gananoque in eastern Ontario was selected to take home the rink built for Canada 150 celebrations in Ottawa. Several cities had applied to receive the outdoor rink, according to Global News.

On Friday, three First Nations in British Columbia raised a restored replica totem pole at a Canada-U.S. border crossing, which was removed without notice a decade ago. B.C. Premier John Horgan told The National Post it was a “historic wrong” and apologized.

The body of a 16-year-old boy was found three weeks after he fell off a boat into Alberta’s Gregoire Lake. Mounties were called to the lake after a witness saw him fall. Police officers, firefighters, sniffer dogs, as well as a mapping team were later called to the scene.

A train in northern Manitoba derailed on Saturday, killing a railway worker and injuring another in the wreck. The train is also leaking diesel fuel into the Metishto River, according to The Star.

City in Brief

The 2018 Oasis International Marathon de Montreal race occured this weekend with more than 7,000 registered participants. It began with the 5 km and 10 km events on Saturday, and ended with a marathon and half marathon on Sunday.

Lachine resident André Faivre was convicted on Friday for possession of child pornography and sexually abusing two young boys, according to The Montreal Gazette. In 2016, Faivre created an online network where pedophiles could share their files. He was arrested in January of that year by Sûreté du Québec with 14 other men as part of Projet Malaise. He was found guilty of 13 charges, and will be sentenced in November.

TVA averted a strike from its journalists, camera operators, and other employees on Friday by reaching an agreement in principle with its union. Its members will vote on the new offer on Oct. 6.

Montreal hosted what is believed to be the first summit of the world’s female foreign ministers on Saturday. CTV reported that the event brought together at least half of the 30 women who hold foreign affairs portfolios in the world, from Bulgaria, Kenya, Norway and South Africa, among others.

Four pedestrians were hit by vehicles this week in Montreal within a span of 48 hours. One is dead, and three are in hospital. The number of pedestrian deaths is now at 18 in the last year. According to Global News, Ville-Marie is the deadliest neighbourhood on the island.

Graphic by @spooky_soda.