In brief: Canada Goose, Yukon and Swexit

City in Brief

Hunters held a protest in front of the Palais des congrès on Saturday to object Quebec’s long-gun registry, passed in 2016, according to The Montreal Gazette. The deadline for long-gun owners to register their weapon was on Jan. 29. The 200 protestors planned the demonstration at the same time as a Montreal Outdoor, Hunting, Fishing and Camping Show at the convention centre. Gun control activists said the registry will save lives.

Canada Goose announced on Thursday it is opening a new factory in Montreal, according to The Globe and Mail. The factory would create 300 jobs and accommodate around 650 employees by 2020. The second Canada Goose factory in Quebec would be located in the Chabanel district.

A burning vehicle was found by police officers in Saint-Leonard late Friday night, according to Global News. The officers smelled smoke that led them to the fire, which firefighters were able to put out. The vehicle has been taken to a lab for a forensic analysis to determine the cause of the fire.

Nation in Brief

British Columbia’s gas pipeline’s construction was put on hold when Indigenous artifacts were found on site of the Wet’suwet’en Nation, according to CBC. The Unist’ot’en Clan claims to have found tools made of stone.

Health Canada has seized an eyewash for contact lens users that contains a drug requiring a prescription from a Richmond beauty store, according to Global News. The eyewash has been removed from stores in the past and those who own it have been advised to stop using it.

A strike was avoided at a Yukon hospital after the Yukon Hospital Corporation and its union came to a tentative deal on Thursday, according to Yukon News. The union, which represents 250 hospital employees, was negotiating heavy workloads. The union will vote whether or not to ratify the tabled deal on March 4.

A delivery man was stabbed by two teens who fought him for chicken wings he was delivering to a customer in Toronto on Saturday, according to The National Post. The injuries were not life-threatening. The boys were charged with robbery and assault with a weapon after they were caught by patrol dogs.

London, Ontario’s arenas and community centres will have naloxone sprays in stock for a one-year pilot project that will begin in June, according to CBC. The project, approved last week, will cost around $20,000. The spray is used for emergency treatment of an opioid overdose.

World in Brief

The Left Party of Sweden voted on Saturday not to campaign on a promise to leave the European Union, in a referendum they called Swexit, according to The Local Sweden. The party made the decision a week after a far-right party in the country also dropped the referendum.

Ahead of the Saudi Crown Prince’s visit to Pakistan, Saudi Arabia significantly decreased the visa fee for Pakistanis, according to Gulf News. The reduction was put into effect on Friday.

The World Health Organization revealed that almost 1,000 children have died of a measles outbreak in Madagascar since October, according to The Independent. This occurred despite an emergency vaccination program that was established in the country. Approximately 66,000 people are currently infected.

Ethiopia and Djibouti signed a deal on Sunday to build a gas pipeline between the two countries, according to The Sunday Times. Djibouti’s energy minister said it is the “most expensive project ever built in the Horn of Africa Region.” Construction is expected to begin in 2020.

Graphic by @spooky_soda.