Quick Links:   Concordia   Montreal   Quebec   CSU   JMSB   Elections   Science   Score Report   Data   International   Protests   Arts   Music   Events   Photos   Videos   Audio   Francais

Happening in and around the White Cube this week…

In its 19th year, Art Matters is the largest student run, non-profit art festival in North America. Every year, Art Matters selects curators for 10 exhibitions, who are then tasked with selecting up to 10 artists to complete their exhibition. This year, the festival began on March 2 during Nuit Blanche, with an ephemeral, outdoor exhibition at the Darling Foundry’s Place Publique. Would You Bury Me? was curated by Megan K. Quigley and featured eight multidisciplinary artists whose work questioned the act of saying “no.”

The suffocating, impractical desire to name is a weekly radio show that will be hosting a live performance event on March 15 from 6 to 10 p.m. Tune in to CIBL 101.5 on March 11, 19 and 26 at 6 p.m. to listen to nine works selected by the show’s curator, Emily Sirota.

Sous nos souffles // Vulnerability Lingers will feature the work of seven artists, surrounding ideas of touch. Curated by Tina Lê and Éloïse Joubert, the exhibition is open until March 17 at Galerie POPOP in the Belgo Building.

Opening on March 7 at NOMADNation, Interface takes its inspiration from the emergence of software development with the Jacquard loom. The exhibition includes a satellite exhibition at the Concordia Webster Library Visualization Studio on Thursdays from 3:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. until March 26.

The first week of the festival ends with a special, double vernissage on Friday, March 8 from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. At Espace POP, porpos asks viewers to question the purpose behind the nine artworks exhibited and at the Rialto Theatre, Digital Dreams / I’ll dream about this someday considers the digital era’s ability to absorb visual information.

Opening on March 10 at Studio XX, In search of delicious features the works of seven artists who search for pleasure, satisfaction, well-being and care.

At Espace 8, students Nina Molto and Louise Campion have curated Look at what you made me do, an exhibition that looks at popular culture’s meme society and the relationship between images and text. The vernissage is on March 20 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

With a vernissage on March 22 at 6 p.m., MALAISE shines light on how women’s bodies and feminine power are “demonized” in today’s society, through explorations of gender, the bizarre, and feelings of unease.

And finally, from March 11 to 22, in collaboration with Art Souterrain and the VAV Gallery, Sites of Embodied Silence questions the political nature of silence and censorship in this era of resistance.

For more information about Art Matters’s events and exhibitions, consult @artmattersfestival on Facebook or artmattersfestival.org.  

0
Colour commentary

Colour commentary: Ego gets in the way in sports

QUICKSPINS: Homeshake - Helium