The Art of Being Single: Show that you care

Graphic by Loreanna Lastoria

Why are you so scared of showing you care? Is it the fear of rejection; that the other person doesn’t feel the same way? Is it because you value your ego more than developing and nurturing actual human connection? Is it because you’re just an ass and don’t care about other people?

Whatever the reason, it’s – and this might be controversial but that’s what we do here – not good enough.

There used to be men (going with this because of the climate of the era) who would literally send photos of themselves and write letters while they were at war to their beloved back home. Men would literally be thousands of kilometres away, on the brink of potentially getting their head blown off, and they still made the effort to show they cared about someone. People literally would die for love – Romeo and Juliet, anyone?

My own grandfather, after asking my grandmother’s father for her hand in marriage and being denied, threatened to lay himself on the train tracks to die if he wouldn’t be able to marry her. He eventually ended up marrying her and they lived a wonderful life together, but do you think that would have happened if my grandfather didn’t show he cared?

Now, I’m not saying you have to go to war and then write love letters to your beloved back home or threaten to kill yourself on the train tracks (seriously, please don’t ever do this) – but show you care. Show that you’re willing to put in the effort for someone, that you care for them, that you’re willing to try everything to be with them.

So many people are afraid of rejection or of having their pride take a hit – but is it worth having fear prevent you from showing someone you care? Is it worth not appreciating someone to the fullest capacity? Is it worth not going all in for someone you care about?

I don’t think so, and you shouldn’t either.

Life is short, people. Show people you care about them. Tell people you care about them. Your pride and ego can adjust, but opportunities to show someone how you feel about them might not present themselves again.