Our albums of the year

We decided to make a list of our staff’s favourite albums of 2019 — here they are!

With 2019 coming to an end, we at The Concordian wants to share our favourite albums from the past year, before Michael Bublé and Mariah Carey (rightfully so) take over playlists for the month.

Here are The Concordian staff’s Albums of The Year:

Immanuel Matthews: The Lost Boy by YBN Cordae

• “This was a tough choice for me, but I had to go with this project — and no, I promise you it’s not because of its Grammy nomination. This project introduced me to Cordae, and there was something about its beautiful, creative musical production, lyrical complexity, and overall honesty, that gave me goosebumps during my first listen-through. While it might not have the same replay value as other projects this year (cue Posty’s Hollywood’s Bleeding and Jack Harlow’s Confetti), The Lost Boy’s overall quality and vibe is one I’d expect of an artist much older than 22.

Jacob Carey: So Much Fun by Young Thug

• “While none of the albums that came out this year completely blew me away, I think that Young Thug’s album lives up to its name. While it may not be his best project (that goes to Barter 6), the album’s a fun collection of classic Atlanta Thug sounds and various features that will be most satisfactory when heard in the late clubbing hours of the night for years to come.”

Alex Hutchins: Ginger by Brockhampton

• “It was my first time really getting into Brockhampton. I ended up getting really into them, as artists and a collective. I also just felt like Ginger was made for me. Like, they took all of my feelings and poured them into an album just for me.”

Katelyn Thomas: Father of the Bride by Vampire Weekend

• “I feel really bad that I’m not saying the Jonas Brothers, but this album is the first in a really long time where I don’t feel like I have to press ‘skip’ at all. There are also a few Danielle Haim features and to be honest, go Haim or go home.”

Matthew Coyte: Pony by Orville Peck

• “Finally, a voice in country music with something different to say. I’m not a big fan of stadium country, so Pony was perfect for me. It’s a more low-key take on the genre. His take on the genre grabs your ear from the first song. I also got to say that I had no idea that “cowboy chic” could work as a style, but Peck kills it. My favourite track on it is “Dead of Night,” it’s a great story about two travellers walking through the desert. Orville Peck is one of the most interesting artists of the year, every song on this album is unskippable.”

Mackenzie Lad: Igor by Tyler, the Creator.

• Some albums come into your life at the right time, and Igor did just that for me. There’s a lot I’d like to say about this project (and I don’t think I’ve really stopped talking about it since it came out this spring), but I think Tyler’s disclaimer sums it up pretty well: “Don’t go into this album expecting a rap album. Don’t go into this album expecting any album. Just go, jump into it.”

Matthew Ohayon: Show Some Teeth by Sullivan King

• “Move over ‘peanut butter and jelly,’ you’ve officially been pushed aside to the second most iconic duo in the world. Taking the reigns is the combo of dubstep and metal. This is Sullivan King’s first album, and I expect many more great ones to come. I listen to the same artists all the time, so for me it was either that or Illenium’s ASCEND; those are the only 2019 albums I’ve listened to. ASCEND is also fantastic, definitely worth a listen as well.”

Kayla-Marie Turriciano: Hollywood’s Bleeding by Post Malone

• “I’ve never been super into Post Malone but I did love some of his songs off previous albums so I was excited to see what Hollywood’s Bleeding was all about. The name itself was intriguing and something about Post’s voice along with the different styles of songs on the record are hypnotizing.”

Youmna El Halabi: When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go by Billie Eilish

• “To be honest, I was always putting off listening to Billie Eilish in general, just because of the general buzz around her. Kinda like when people wouldn’t watch Game of Thrones because it’s so popular. But then, on a roadtrip with some friends, we blasted her latest album and ever since, I’ve been addicted. I guess I just associate it with one of the best moments of my life with some of my favourite people.”

Callie Giaccone: The Big Day by Chance the Rapper

• “I liked the narrative of the album, it was funky and it was different than his other stuff. It included other artists too.”

Virginie Ann: Amadjar by Tinariwen

• “I discovered Tinariwen while on my way to the Sahara Desert last April and listening to this new album brings me back instantly. Amadjar means “foreign traveller” – It’s a slow mix of traditional and electric guitar which feels equally ancient and dreamy. Get high, have some tea and listen to these desert blues.”

Jad Abukasm: Brol la Suite by Angèle

• “The album Brol came out in 2018. Already full of amazing songs, Angèle added seven new songs last November to her album now renamed Brol la Suite. I just feel like I can listen to that album at any given point and mood and still relate to at least three songs at a time. It’s so unfortunate that I can’t go to her concert next week.”

Chloë Lalonde: Norman Fucking Rockwell! by Lana del Rey

• “I’m the kind of person that really sticks to my artists, I have listened to the same albums over and over again for years. So if I am being honest with myself, the only albums I’ve actually listened to repeatedly this year are Outer Peace by Toro y Moi, Clairo’s Immunity, Lana Del Rey’s Norman Fucking Rockwell!, Blink-182’s NINE, Cashmere Cat’s Princess Catgirl, FKA Twig’s Magdalene and Tei Shi’s La Linda.  Lana wins. Lana always wins. Big fat cancer 2019 mood.”

Lorenza Mezzapelle: ARIZONA BABY by Kevin Abstract 

• “It was really hard choosing between this and Apollo XXI by Steve Lacy but ultimately, the honest lyricism made the difference. With numerous references to his past and personal experiences, the album possesses a certain vulnerability that is comforting to listen to. This, alongside the diverse instrumentals, allows for an introspective listening experience that will leave you feeling nostalgic but not over-emotional.”

Fatima Día: Amir by Tamino 

• “Although the album came out at the end of 2018, it really took off at the beginning of this year. I first heard it in Barcelona when I had gone to stay with my family— it was a bit of a tough time for me and Tamino’s transcendental voice helped me keep my faith in the universe. Yes, I mean it. His voice has an incredible range, and when he reaches that falsetto in his song “Habibi,” you just know that faith is worthy. He’s Egyptian-Belgian, and incorporates Arabic harmonies and melodies into all his music. Amir means prince in Arabic, and it’s also his middle name— makes me very giddy.  He’s become the Amir of my heart.”

Maggie Morris: Cuz I Love You by Lizzo

• “Sorry, I’m not even a little bit sorry.  Lizzo is iconic and I’ve been playing her songs on repeat for the better part of a year now.  There isn’t a single bad mood that this album can’t pull me out of.”

Nicole Proano: Run Fast Sleep Naked by Nick Murphy 

• “Montreal in the summer always feels like epic freedom and this album is the epitome of that. Nick Murphy’s live performance of “Sanity” at the Montreal Jazz Festival was even better than his recorded version, if that’s even possible.”

Britanny Clarke: MŪN by Chilla

• “I have family living abroad in Switzerland and I remember my cousin posting about this up-and-coming rap artist in France. I checked out Chilla’s music on Spotify and, woah. Her album MŪN is complete fire. She is such a versatile artist which really shines through in this album. I never skip a track when I listen to MŪN. As an artist myself, I thought she was such a badass artist, for all the girls out there looking to make it. I definitely recommend her tracks “Pour la Vie,” and “Oulala.””

Arianna Randjbar: Gece by Altın Gün

• “Altın Gün resurrects Turkish classics in Gece, turning folk tunes your grandpa knows into a psychedelic séance you can dance to.”