QUICKSPINS: Jhene Aiko – Chilombo

A slow yet meaningful sequence of great songs. A must-listen for a chill night in.

Looking for something soft, smooth and sensual to listen to? Jhene Aiko’s new twenty-track album Chilombo is definitely a must-listen.

Aiko set sail towards Hawaii, where her great-grandmother was born, to fulfil her experiment of self-discovery, power and confidence.

She surrounded herself with crystals, incense and the sound of ancient singing bowls, which she also samples throughout the album. With that, she aimed to balance her chakras, alleviate anxiety and revitalize her creativity. Going to Hawaii allowed her to reconnect with her roots, hence the reason she titled the album Chilombo, which is her legal surname: Jhene Aiko Efuru Chilombo.

Aiko walks us through love, intimacy, heartbreak, reflection and forgiveness. She conveys these messages through specific songs like fan favourite, “Pu$$y Fairy” where she speaks about sexual tensions between a relationship and “None of Your Concern” featuring Big Sean, speaking to their failed relationship and the path they took to overcome these obstacles.

The album is quite long when taking into consideration the slow sequence that is highlighted throughout. However, Aiko’s voice remains soft yet powerful, which creates this sense of continuity while listening to each of her songs. In support of Chilombo, the artist has announced a North American tour called, “The Magic Hour” with opening act Queen Naija debuting May 1.

Rating: 8/10

Trial Track: “Pu$$y Fairy”.