Editorial: Feeling disillusioned?

The Other Side was a satire column that frequently appeared in what was then called the Arts and Culture section of The Concordian in 1994. Photo by Alex Hutchins.

This past week has been jam-packed with some hard truths.

On Sept. 16, The Concordian reported that the university will not be complying with the Human Rights Commission’s recommendations regarding the handling of sexual assault complaints. This news is the latest in Concordia’s long and checkered history with the subject of sexual violence on campus.

On Sept. 18, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, died at 87. Naturally, her passing reminds us of her decades-long fight for gender equality, abortion rights, and marriage equality. But Ginsburg’s death has also highlighted her more dubious decisions, such as her vote to allow for the quicker removal of asylum seekers, or her support of the Atlantic Coast pipeline.

On Sept. 20, Quebec Health Minister Christian Dubé announced that Montreal has entered the “orange zone,” meaning restrictions due to COVID-19 have been tightened once again. New cases in Quebec have shot up to 637 in a single day, the highest number we’ve seen since May.

On Sept. 23, a U.S. grand jury decided that Kentucky police officers Brett Hankinson, Jonathan Mattingly, and Myles Cosgrove, who fatally shot 26-year-old Black healthcare worker Breonna Taylor, will not be charged with her death. The decision follows months of protests against police violence in both the U.S. and Canada.

On Sept. 28, Quebec Premier François Legault announced that Montreal has entered the “red zone,” meaning restrictions due to COVID-19 have been thoroughly tightened once again. New cases in the province have shot up to 896 in a single day, the highest number we’ve seen since May. On that same day, Concordia announced that the winter term will occur remotely.

Right now, many of us feel disillusioned, discouraged, and downright disappointed.

Concordia is still failing to treat victims of sexual violence with respect; cracks in the legacy of Justice Ginsburg have surfaced; the pandemic is far from over; and injustice continues to sink its teeth into our collective consciousness.

Needless to say, it’s been rough.

Although it may feel like the winds of change have devolved into the breeze of bureaucracy, it’s important to remember the value of resilience. It’s okay to be pissed off, it’s okay to be scared, it’s okay to take a moment to breathe. We’ll pick ourselves back up and keep on moving forward.

Photo by Alex Hutchins