On Repeat: contributor’s edition

Our contributors share what they have been listening to lately

Anthony Issa

“Totally Fine” – PUP

Toronto group PUP dropped a banger song that pop-punk fans can enjoy in time for their next mental breakdown. With chunky guitar riffs and self-destructive lyrics filled with dark humour, “Totally Fine” is a great taste of what to expect on their upcoming album. The track is accompanied by a hilarious music video about the band selling out, leaving the indie scene, and becoming billionaires by building an evil real estate empire. Following the popular trend that all billionaire philanthropists seem to be into these days, they travel to space and rock out in astronaut gear. 

Jacob Wade-Vallance

“Anything But Me” – MUNA

MUNA has nailed it once again. With their follow up to the viral queer love song “Silk Chiffon,” “Anything But Me” is a breakup bop and a wave goodbye to a toxic relationship, with killer lyrics.

Nadia Trudel

“Feel My Rhythm” – Red Velvet

“Feel My Rhythm” might not cure your seasonal depression, but it might help. The song has this delusional optimism that’s almost creepy: classic Red Velvet. Sonically it’s pretty, elegant, and dreamy, a true successor to their previous hit “Psycho.” It samples Bach, so mix classical strings with some modern pop, a trap beat, soaring chorus, fun rap verses, and signature Red Velvet vocals and you have a springtime anthem and homage to the beauty of art. 

Aaron Bauman

“Troubles” – Denzel Curry feat. T-Pain

Denzel Curry’s gritty flow blended with T-Pain’s angelic vocals on this bouncy track creates a perfect song for a window-down cruise just in time for the sun’s return. This track comes as the final single of Denzel’s upcoming album’s rollout.

Curtis Savage

“i’m not gonna kill you” – Nemahsis

Nemahsis’ track from her breakout EP eleven achers is a soul-wrenching demand to not be treated like a threat. She somberly reflects in this R&B ballad over the pressure she feels to repress her Muslim identity in her western surroundings. Her voice gently carries through the song as she laments on her frustration to be accepted. 

Oliver Eng

“Heavy” – Nigo feat. Lil Uzi Vert

“Heavy” is what you get when you put Lil Uzi Vert on a drill beat and let talent do its thing. It’s catchy and a perfect representation of who NIGO and Uzi are as people. The song is loud, heavy and it shakes your body. You can’t go wrong with this one.

Owen Cole

“Vocoder” – Floating Points

Returning to his dancefloor roots, Floating Points has crafted one of the biggest club tunes of recent months. After playing a string of after-hours gigs with Four Tet and even Skrillex throughout the U.S., Floating Points seems hungry to get the dancefloor pumping once again after the more subdued Crush from 2019, and the new age/ambient jazz Pharoah Sanders collaborative Promises from 2021. 

Sydney Gastaldo

“What Happened To The Class of ’65?” – Damien Jurado 

I was first introduced to Jurado’s music through the show Shameless. Something about the song stuck out to me immediately and after the episode, I looked up the track that was played, “Beacon Hill,” and ended up listening to almost all of the singer/songwriter’s discography.  Jurado has been one of my favorite artists ever since and his newest single “What Happened To The Class of ‘65?” — a song which encapsulates what he does best: storytelling. Overall, it’s a captivating track with intimate and vulnerable lyrics and beautiful instrumentalism. 

Jake Beacock

“Drink The New Wine” – Bauhaus

Recorded during lockdown last year, “Drink The New Wine” has come as a pleasant surprise for post-punk lovers. Bauhaus manages to maintain their unique essence: a spectral, gothic sound that makes you feel beautifully delirious. Go on, take a sip!

Graphic by Lily Cowper

[spotifyplaybutton play=”https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7EeF1T1uM5c0nBuKWTBSFz?si=e7b942e4eb224fdf”]
25

Concert Review: Mayhem at Club Soda, Montreal

A Ukrainian family reunion in Montreal