The Concordia Stingers’ women’s hockey team shuts out the Carleton Ravens 6-0

Concordia Stingers vs. Carleton Ravens women’s hockey on Feb. 17, 2023. Kyran Thicke/ Concordia Athletics

Six goals by six different Stingers end the regular season on a high note

The Concordia Stingers’ women’s hockey team made the most of power plays and dominated the Carleton Ravens 6-0 at the Ed Meagher Arena during their last game of the regular season on Feb. 17.

It was the last regular season game for four Stingers seniors. Defender and captain Olivia Hale, forwards Alexandra Boulanger and Rosalie Bégin-Cyr, as well as goaltender Alice Philbert were honoured after the game alongside their families.

“They are four really important members of this team, we love them and I’m just glad we got a good win to honour their amazing careers,” said Stingers defender Alexandra-Anne Boyer.

Boyer helped the Stingers take the lead in the first period on the power play before Stingers’ forward Chloé Gendreau doubled the lead.

At the start of the second period, Concordia forward Justine Yelle beat the Ravens’ defence while shorthanded and extended the lead to 3-0. Stingers forward Caroline Moquin-Joubert capitalized later on their powerplay.

The Stingers continued to excel in power plays in the final frame, with forwards Megan Bureau-Gagnon and Jessymaude Drapeau making the final score 6-0.

The team was happy to get a big victory for the four seniors.

“I think we were just making sure we got that shut out for [Phibert] at the end of the day,” said Hale.

Stingers’ head coach Julie Chu noted that, with all the excitement surrounding the game, their biggest challenge was to stay focused and eliminate distractions.

Nonetheless, Chu praised her team’s dominance on the power play, their ability to build confidence and to make adjustments where needed in between periods.

“I was really happy with the full effort,” said Chu. “Obviously, what better way to honour our graduating players than with a win.”

With the regular season over, the Stingers will face the Bishop’s Gaiters on Feb. 23 at the Ed Meagher Arena for the first game of the best-of-three series.

“We told our team to enjoy this, enjoy what they’ve accomplished, and enjoy celebrating as a team,” said Chu. “But, when we wake up tomorrow, our focus shifts to preparing and doing everything we can physically and mentally to get ready.”

She acknowledged that there will be challenges ahead as they prepare to face the Gaiters.

“We worked all year for this,” said Boyer. “We’re going to come ready and Thursday is going to be a great game.”