Browsing Category

Community

1578 posts

Subcategories

Fashion’s fresh new faces from Montreal

In an obscure part of town, away from the trendy bars on St. Laurent Blvd and the upscale boutiques on Peel St., a congregation of Dolce & Gabbana wearing, Louis Vuitton carrying, Jimmy Choo strutting beautiful people emerge like clockwork from the half-dozen or so silver Mercedes Benz's parked outside an unidentifiable warehouse.

The Amazing Todsky is from ConU

Originating in ancient Egypt, magic is an art that has mystified and entertained audiences for almost 5,000 years. From Houdini's Challenge Act to the levitating skills of David Blaine, the tricks of the trade have been purposely kept from the public to ensure a continuing response of curiosity, confusion and credibility.

Boys and Girls Club networks with ConU

The kids at the Club call her Diva because it's all about the clothes. Her own kids call her Mom. Kids from the neighborhood call her at home late at night just to talk out a problem or to hear a caring voice and it's all in a day's work - an 18 hour day that is - for Concordia Alumni Tamara Lorincz.

Is there job security after graduation?

We exist for the future and we strive for success. The notion that our dedication to our studies and the hard earned bucks we invest in education might be jolted by the uncertainty of the job market is enough to shatter ours dreams of professional triumph.

Suicide Prevention Week saves lives

She begins to weep uncontrollably. On her dresser stands a picture of her deceased mother. "Is there any point in living?" she cries, eying the pills on her nightstand. He walks around miserable and heartbroken. "How could she have dumped me when everything was going perfectly?" he thinks.

Spring Break in Cancun

Rated one of MTV's top Spring Break destinations, Cancun offers a larger-than-life retreat for any traveler. From soft, white, sandy beaches and breathtaking views of the Caribbean's turquoise coast to the modern extravagance of the newest hotels, restaurants and bars, this tropical destination offers everything for the person seeking extraordinary entertainment.

Pressures of body image can kill

Feel so uncomfortable...Can't stand to look at or touch my body because I'm afraid it will get fat...just want to cover up. Don't deserve to look nice...I can't imagine ever being normal. Hate everyone and myself...(Excerpt from journal of Erin* age 23, recovering Anorexic).

CORRECTION

The Concordian made a mistake by suggesting that students are being "bamboozled" by the Concordia Student Union Dental Plan in a feature article entitled "CSU dental plan not mandatory" that appeared in the Jan. 29, 2003 edition of the Concordian. The Dental Plan was initiated by a petition of over 500 Concordia students and mandated by a campus-wide student referendum held in March 1996.

Spring Break in paradise

For at least two thirds of the year, university students are devoted to virtue; however, there is one week where all inhibitions run amuck. Watching MTV and Girls Gone Wild proves that on Spring Break, many university students, slave driven by their books and grades, flock southward in search of an escape from the tedious certainty of their existence.

See the world and more with teaching ESL at Concordia

Grads, fearing the transition from free wielding student to a disillusioned 9 to 5 corporate slave, may find what they never knew they were looking for at 1455 Blvd. de Maisonneuve: Concordia's teaching English as a second language (TESL) centre. For many antsy young ones, TESL has become a surprising opportunity to travel extensively, make money and gain unique working experience abroad.