Students campaign for tolerance and peace

In light of the tragedy in the United States, a journalism student is hoping to promote peace this week by having a white wrist band campaign on Sept. 19.
“I thought it was an incredible cause. Concordia is a political hotbed of racism and hatred. I want to do something about it,” said Mark Ordonselli, who came up with the idea. “It’s a great way to get everyone to take two steps back and realize how out of control things are getting.”
Stationed in the lobby of the Hall Building he and a group of students of
various nationalities will hand out the wristbands on Sept. 19 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The group was delighted when Fabricville doubled the amount of material they asked for. 2,000 wristbands will be distributed.
The office of the dean of students, student affairs, and other university
departments heard about their cause, allowing the group to book tables with very little notice.
“I don’t know if it will necessarily accomplish anything,” said Donald Boisvert, the dean of students. “However, a campaign like this may help raise people’s awareness and show some sense of solidarity.”
Ordonselli is expecting a good response to his campaign and the other volunteers are pumped as well.
“I know we have chosen to do something far more valuable than protesting or trying to convince people of our rightness and their wrongness,” said Katharine Childs, 19, a political science student. “The only people we are trying to prove wrong are people who think that they can accomplish anything by violence or confrontation.”
Patrick Boghdady, 20, is another volunteer in mechanical engineering at McGill University. “The retaliatory commando-style harassment and violence against Muslims and fellow Arabs is beginning to worry me,” he said. “I am a Christian Egyptian, and I get the very rare dirty look on the streets. Many Arabs, including Muslims, are equally disturbed. I hope, by my presence, to show that Arabs do disapprove of terrorism and that [it] should be annihilated, though not by blowing up… Peace is the answer.”
Ultimately, Ordonselli hopes his campaign might help inspire a move towards peace on Concordia’s campus. He remains adamant about his political allegiances: he has none.
“We are not affiliated with the administration, the CSU, or any particular club or organization at Concordia. We are simply a group of concerned students who believe that the fighting has gone on long enough.”