Lady Bees lose first regular game of season

It appears as though the McGill Martlets have decided to strike back and give out harsh lessons to other hockey teams. Apparently, they decided that the Concordia Stingers’ women’s hockey team would be their very first victims.

In a surprise turn of events at last Sunday’s game, Martlet Kristin Leuszler broke the 2-2 tie with 1:24 remaining in the game, ending the game and the Stingers’ perfect regular season with a 3-2 loss.

The number-two ranked Stingers, despite their 2-0-1 record over the Martlets during regular-season play, did not seem to have played their A-game at McConnell Arena.

Concordia, who usually skate circles around the lowly number-eight ranked McGill, came out slightly sluggish early on in the game.

In took more than 12 minutes before Kendra MacDonald opened up the scoring in the game with a power play goal. However, the Stingers weren’t ready for the Martlets’ first comeback.

Less than two minutes later, McGill’s Veronique Lapierre outplayed goaltender Cecilia Anderson and found the back of the net with the puck, evening things out 1-1.

Lapierre was still on fire when the second period began and she shot the puck past Anderson once again one minute into the second period.

The Stingers struggled to get into the Martlets’ zone throughout the period. Twelve minutes into the period, their efforts came through when Jodi Gosse outplayed goaltender Delphine Roy to tie the game 2-2.

Throughout the third period, both teams’ efforts to score the tiebreaking goal were unsuccessful.

This doesn’t mean that the Martlets did not try hard enough; Anderson had to face 41 shots during the game, including 17 in the final period.

Finally, with 1:24 left in the period, Leuszler broke free and shot the game-winning goal, ending the game 3-2 in favour of McGill.

This win proved to be crucial for the Martlets. In this week’s CIS Top 10 standings, the McGill squad jumped from the number eight spot to number five.

The Stingers’ number-two ranking remained unchanged despite the loss.