Stingers still unbeaten

In Brief

The Concordia Stingers played good enough for the win against the Bishop’s Gaiters on Saturday, but good enough won’t be enough to beat their opponent next week. For the first time on Sunday, the Stingers will face off against a team that has more than one win, and this team has four of them, matching the Stingers’ 4-0 record. They go to Quebec City to face the Laval Rouge et Or, the two-time defending Vanier Cup champions.

Against Bishop’s the Stingers got solid play from the usual characters. Quarterback Scott Syvret had a solid day completing 22 of 32 passes for 335 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions. Syvret once again found Dan Mott a lot. Mott caught nine balls for 122 yards. He has surpassed the 100-yard receiving mark in three of the four games this season. Reciever/punter Mike Renaud caught two touchdowns for the Stingers, and finished the day with five catches for 128 yards.

The Stingers defense also played very well, led again by Pat Donovan who is quickly making a name for himself as he remains one of the top tacklers in Canada. Donovan had 12 tackles to lead the Stingers. Nathan Agadzi also had his best game of the year, finishing with 8.5 tackles including three sacks on Bishop’s quarterback Joel Lefebvre. The Stingers didn’t allow Bishop’s to score until the fourth quarter, where they put up 17 points, including two rushing touchdowns by Jamaal Lee.

Concordia remains eighth in the country at 4-0. Their next game is against Laval at PEPS stadium where a sellout crowd of 20,000 is expected.