Men’s Hockey Team gets Reinforcement

The newest member of the Concordia Stingers men’s hockey team certainly knows how to make an entrance. In Cory McGillis’s first four games with the Stingers, he has scored seven goals. And it’s not like the Stingers really needed the reinforcements. Concordia, one year after missing the playoffs, is having its best season in recent memory.
The Stingers have gone 6-0-3 in their last nine games, losing their three games in shootouts, a streak that dates back to their last regulation time loss on Nov. 15 against the University of Toronto.
Concordia sits in second spot in the Ontario University Athletics conference Far East division behind only the No. 2 team in the country the UQTR Patriotes.
Back to McGillis. He was originally supposed to join the Stingers at the start of next season, but called Concordia head coach Kevin Figsby in December with the desire to start playing for the Stingers at the start of the second semester.
McGillis was a first round pick of the Ontario Hockey League’s Windsor Spitfires and played for three teams in his five year OHL career. He ended his career with 112 points in 219 games.
Making his Stingers debut last week, he scored two goals against York, and followed that up with his first CIS hat trick last Saturday in Guelph against the Guelph Gryphons. He also had goals in shootout losses against Brock and McGill.
Before the break, the Stingers had one line that was leading the team. The line of Mike Baslyk, Nicolas Lafontaine and Nicolas D’Aoust were on fire for the first half of the season, and are the top three scorers on the Stingers, and are among the CIS leaders in points as well.
The addition of McGillis means the Stingers will have their scoring more spread out then it previously was.
The only team ahead of them in the Eastern Conference is their division rival from Trois-Rivi