Lady Bees sink Citadins

The women’s basketball team took the court against the Université de Québec à Montréal Citadins on Friday night, winning their game 76-62.
The Stingers has a great start with an early basket by Nekeita Lee, followed by another basket by teammate Kristin Portwine. The fast pace of the game was evident early on, as both teams ran up and down the court, nailing baskets and free throws. The Stingers held the lead with a score of 21-9 and the end of the first quarter.

Anne-Marie Prophete started the second period with two baskets and UQAM matched her with a basket and two free throws. Stingers guard Yasmin Jean-Philippe was fouled and swooshed one of her free throws to make the score 26-15. With four minutes left, the Citadins scored three more times in a row, leaving them trailing the bees by only two baskets. Prophete netted a basket, and a foul on Lee brought the score to 31-23. Another free throw and a three pointer from Verhesen advanced the Stingers 35-25. Before the buzzer went off, UQAM managed to get another basket in, finishing the first half of the game at 35-27.

The third quarter began with two baskets and a free throw by the Citadins. Prophete stepped it up again and scored, only to be matched once more by another UQAM basket. Jean-Philippe sank a three-pointer after sinking both of her free throws from a foul, and Grégoire-Boudreau contributed two baskets in a row. The Citadins managed a quick two baskets, but Jean-Philippe dwindled their efforts with another three-pointer. After another basket from Verhesen, the Stingers finished the third quarter up 55-45.
The fourth quarter was up and down as the Stingers and Citadins traded baskets. Magalie Beaulieu spotted an open Prophete under the basket and fed her for the two points, while Grégoire-Boudreau added another basket. Two more Concordia baskets and four free throws for each team ran the clock, finishing the game with an exciting win for the Stingers at 76-62.

The women’s basketball team will face off against Bishop’s at home on Friday, Jan. 22 at 8 P.M.