From the beehive: Sept. 14

It was a decent week for the Stingers as they managed to win half their games while keeping it close in the others.

The women’s rugby team got it started last Wednesday night by eking out a 3-0 win over McGill to win the Kelly-Anne Drummond Cup for the second straight year. The annual exhibition game is played in honour of the late Kelly-Anne Drummond, a former Stingers rugby player who was killed six years ago. They then took care of business in the regular season by beating Ottawa 31-14 in their home opener on Sunday. Cara Stuckey led the way with two tries.

The men weren’t too shabby on Sunday either during their home opener; they beat Bishop’s by the same point differential, 24-7. Based on both teams’ performances we should be seeing a great season for Concordia rugby. The baseball team won both halves of a doubleheader versus Carleton, 3-0 and 4-3. With four games coming up in the next seven days, the defending national champions are about to embark on a very busy week.

Meanwhile, a young Stingers football team also opened their home season, losing a close game against Montreal, though the 29-8 would indicate otherwise.

The soccer teams were not entirely successful either, as the women’s team tied with Bishop’s (1-1) Friday night before both teams lost Sunday in Sherbrooke (4-0 for the women, 1-0 for the men).

With the pressure of home openers out of the way for all of the fall teams (hockey and basketball count as winter teams), the Stingers can now focus on improving. With a busy fall schedule, Concordia students will have plenty of opportunity to cheer for their team, whether it be at home or on the road.