disORIENTATION takes hold of Concordia

As orientation festivities simmer to an end, an alternative orientation week is set to take its place and offer new and returning students, and community members a bevy of information and free activities. Organized by the Quebec Public Interest Research Group at Concordia, “disORIENTATION” kicked off this past Monday with “Activism for Students 101.” The workshop served as an introduction to QPIRG and their role within the university.

“I was trying to look for local groups and how to get involved in the local community,” explained first-year philosophy student Eric Seguin, “I think I found it at disORIENTATION.”

Participants were also given a workshop on how to silkscreen print posters and signs, which was followed by a screening of BAS! Beyond the Red Light with director Wendy Champagne.

disORIENTATION is QPIRG’s latest moniker for the orientation week, which has taken place for a few years.

“We do an alternative orientation because QPIRG’s role on campus is to link the university and the broader Montreal community to learn about, and get involved with, social and environmental justice issues,” said Ashley Fortier, QPIRG administration coordinator. “Orientation at a big-name school can be pretty overwhelming for people, so a couple of weeks into September we’d like to be able to offer people information and different avenues that QPIRG offers them.”

Other workshops and activities being offered for free include a talk by sports writers Dave Zirin and Meg Hewings, a campus and community tabling fair, a radical walking tour of Concordia, a panel discussion with indigenous activists, a Concordia community bike tour, and an end of week fundraiser dance party, “Dance Schmance.”

All disORIENTATION events are free for students. For a full schedule go to: www.qpirgconcordia.org/disorientation.