Women?s soccer team tie against second-ranked McGill

The Concordia women were able to escape the Molson Stadium Friday night with a 1-1 tie against a McGill team that controlled most of the game.

The first goal of the game was scored early by Concordia. At the 13th minute, Stinger Sarah Sullivan passed to teammate Kristina McGovern in the goalkeeper’s area, who kicked it in to give the lead to Concordia.

Moments before, McGovern pressured a McGill defender into inadvertently kicking the ball out of bounds. A corner was then awarded to Concordia. They failed to create a scoring chance, but kept the ball deep in McGill territory, which led to the goal.

During the first half, Concordia was dangerous on counterattacks, but McGill controlled the tempo of the game by installing their offence in the Concordia zone.

The Stingers can thank their goalkeeper for the result. Kitchener native Andrea Davidson stopped all but one shot directed at her, making 14 saves and subsequently being named player of the match for Concordia. All night, she had the Martlets’ forwards shaking their heads in disbelief after many difficult saves.

The Stingers virtually spent the entire second half in their own territory due to the coach’s tactics to preserve their 1-0 lead from the first half. In the early part of the half, McGill did not do much with the possession, in large part because Concordia’s defence did not let them position themselves in the middle.

The only shot that got through Davidson was a header from McGill’s Julia Bahen from a corner by Selena Colarossi at the 65th minute. This move was executed flawlessly and Davidson did not have a chance. McGill tied the score at one.

A couple of minutes earlier, the Concordia keeper robbed Martlet Anna Smith. From a free kick cross, Smith found herself alone in front on the goal. She kicked the ball at the wide-open goal, only to see Davidson dive and stop the ball inches before it entered the net.

Concordia was even able to get a breakaway chance. At the 51st minute, Monica White took the ball away from a McGill defender in the middle of the field and sprinted alone for 50 yards. But McGill’s defender recovered and a calculated challenge from the goalkeeper impeded White from scoring.

The more the game advanced, the more McGill’s attacks became dangerous, but the marvellous play in goal by Davidson negated them. Even after the tying goal, Davidson made critical saves to protect the tie.

The Stingers’ last game of the season, against UQTR on Halloween Sunday, ended in a 1-1 draw. They ended the season in sixth place, and did not make the playoffs.