City in brief

President search committee to be created

Concordia’s Board of Governors has approved the formation of an advisory search committee that will begin to look for a new permanent president. The nomination process to sit on the committee normally takes about two months. The 14-person committee will include the board chair and members representing: the community-at-large (2); full-time faculty (5); part-time faculty (1); senior administration (1); students (2); and administrative and support staff (2). The Board’s goal is to have a new president and vice-chancellor by the time president Fred Lowy’s term ends on Aug. 1, 2012.

GSA elections to begin tomorrow

The Graduate Students Association will be holding its elections between tomorrow and Thursday. In addition to filling the positions of president, VP internal and VP external, the GSA is looking for five directors from each faculty as well as a specialized program or interdisciplinary. Student Robert Sonin is running unopposed for the presidency. During the elections, Le Frigo Vert will be looking to renew its GSA fee levy, changing the current fee structure from $4,00 a year to $1,50 a semester. CUTV is also looking to have a one dollar a semester fee levy approved.

New exchange program between JMSB and UdeM

The John Molson School of Business and Université de Montréal’s Faculty of Law have launched a new program to provide graduate business education to law students, and graduate law courses to business students. The partnership will be integrated into JMSB’s graduate diploma/certificate in business administration (GDBA), which aims to offer students the basics in marketing, finance, accounting, human resources management and business law.

Trudeau and porn

Papineau Liberal candidate Justin Trudeau was shocked when he woke up last Friday morning to read a blog post stating that his campaign staffers were “scrambling” to deal with a QR barcode on his campaign posters that linked to a porn website. The blog in question was that of Steve Faguy, copy editor at the Gazette. According to the post, the scanned barcode did not send voters to Liberal.ca, but rather to Luberal.ca, a site that “encourages the liberal use of lube” in sexual encounters. It turned out to be an April Fools’ joke and Trudeau took it in stride. He even posted the fake QR problem on his Twitter feed, prompting Le Devoir to report it as fact.