Nation in brief

Air security agency collecting too much passenger info

Privacy commissioner Jennifer Stoddart has found the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority is keeping records which contain information about passengers not related to air security. According to the Canadian Press, the commissioner studied a random sample of 150 of the 10,400 incident reports kept by the agency. In an annual report presented to Parliament, Stoddart found that the agency keeps files about narcotics, tobacco, and large sums of money which are found in travellers’ luggage. Stoddart’s office admitted that it was okay to report the discovery of narcotics. Meanwhile, a visit to the rooms where officials screen full body scans found that the rooms contained a cell phone as well as a closed circuit television, neither of which are allowed because they can record video. The CCTV was disabled after the visit.

Concerns voiced over Rippers logo

Ontario minor league baseball team London Rippers are stirring up controversy after revealing their logo this week, which some say references serial killer Jack the Ripper, who preyed on women in London, England in the 1880s. The logo features a “nefarious-looking man,” according to the CBC, while the tagline is “Lurking in Labatt Park this Spring.” London Mayor Joe Fontana expressed concerns about the name and wants to speak to the owner about changing it, and the executive director of the London Abused Women’s Centre has voiced its objection to the logo. Director Megan Walker said she contacted the owner asking for the logo to be taken down. Team president and general manager David Martin said the name was a play on the baseball term “rip.”

Queen’s band suspended

The Queen’s University marching band has been suspended for the rest of the semester because of material circulated by the band that the university deemed to be offensive towards women. According to The National Post, the circulated materials included guidebooks and songbooks which included degrading lyrics. The Kingston, Ont. university officials also mandated that band members receive human rights training. Dean of student affairs Ann Tierney called the materials “unacceptable.” The band, which is partially funded by students, is said to be one of the largest university marching bands in Canada.

Robbers target sex toys and undies

New Brunswick police are saying 16 cases of stolen sex toys and women’s underwear in the Saint-Paul and Sainte-Marie area have been reported since last Thursday. The RCMP say the thefts began in July, and that the targeted homes were empty when they occurred. CTV reported that police do not know how many people are involved in the thefts, and ask that residents come forward to report any robberies even if they are not comfortable doing so, as well as to be sure to lock their doors and windows during the day and at night.