World in brief

Occupy Davos! The movement lives on…
The world’s bigwigs, including Stephen Harper, descended on the resort town of Davos in Switzerland for the World Economic Forum, an annual invitation-only event with the goal of improving the world we live in. On Saturday, three Ukrainian topless protesters made it clear they weren’t happy with the number of poor people out there. The three are from the group Femen, which is known in Ukraine for their half-nude protests. Armed with signs and torso scribblings that read things like “Gangsters party in Davos,” they were detained. A delegation of Occupy protesters also camped out nearby in igloos to draw attention for more help for the world’s needy.

I’m leaving, and taking my bras with me

Talk of Scotland leaving the United Kingdom has been all over the news lately, even though the referendum isn’t set until 2014. But like in a U.S. election year, when people often threaten to move to Canada “if so-and-so gets elected,” some people are already grumbling about leaving. The latest is Michelle Mone, a Scots dropout-turned-successful lingerie entrepreneur, who says she’ll move to England if the divorce goes through. Independence supporters believe Scotland will do okay on its own with oil money, but Mone and other business owners are concerned about the economy. “I will move my business and I will move personally,” she told the Sunday Times. “I don’t think we can survive on our own and I think it would be really bad for business.”

Detroit school pulls incredibly douchey move on child cancer survivor
J.T. Gaskins is a 17-year-old leukemia survivor. After learning that the sister of a family friend had cancer, he decided that it would be a great idea to grow out his hair and donate it to Locks of Love, a non-profit that gives hairpieces to children who suffer from hair loss. Unfortunately, Gaskins’ Michigan school, Madison Academy, has some draconian rules about boys’ hair, and suspended him. The school’s policy calls for “neat” coifs that are off the collar. “I fought cancer my entire life. I’m going to keep fighting this,” J.T. told local news. “I’m not going to not give back just because my school says no.” Attaboy! His mother launched a petition on Change.org to convince the school to change its policies. A Locks of Love spokesperson confirmed that they’ve heard of similar incidents at other schools.

Paula the plucky penguin promptly poops on political property
Brigette DePape she is not, but Paula the penguin definitely made a scene on the floor of the Kentucky Legislature last Tuesday. The penguin was brought in from the Newport Aquarium in Cincinnati, OH, reported the Lexington Herald-Leader. Senator Katie Stine was reading aloud Resolution 92, intended to honour the aquarium for its work, when senate president David Williams interrupted her: “Are you talking about the penguin that just defecated on the floor?” Amid the room’s laughter, Stine said, “Actually, senator, I believe that’s your desk.” The comments from online readers are delicious: “Don’t see this is [as a] big deal here since David Williams and his Republican cronies do the same to the people of Kentucky every single day.”