Sports in the News

Impact salvage draw against the Red Bulls

The Montreal Impact are still winless in this young Major League Soccer (MLS) season, but managed a 2-2 tie against the New York Red Bulls on Saturday afternoon. Montreal got off to a hot start at the Big O, as five minutes into the match, Argentine striker Andres Romero gave the Impact a 1-0 lead. The Impact could have easily scored a few more in the first half but New York goalkeeper Luis Robles kept them in the game. The Red Bulls rewarded their goalkeeper with two goals three minutes apart. The goals came at the 31st and 34th minute by midfielders Jonny Steele and Peguy Luyindula, respectively, giving New York a 2-1 lead heading into halftime. The Red Bulls were given a huge opportunity in the 48th minute when they were awarded a penalty kick but Luyindula hit the post on the penalty shot to keep it a 2-1 game. Montreal then tied it in the 59th minute with a goal from midfielder Felipe Martins to rally back for a 2-2 draw. The Impact will play again next Saturday at the Olympic Stadium at 4 p.m. against the Chicago Fire, another team who haven’t won a game yet this season, with a record of one loss and four draws.

Final week of the NHL season

April 13 will be the last day of the NHL regular season. There are four teams in the east that have punched their ticket to the playoffs (the Boston Bruins, the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Montreal Canadiens and the Tampa Bay Lightning) and another four teams currently in a playoff spot, but who have yet to seal their fate in the postseason (the New York Rangers, the Philadelphia Flyers, the Detroit Red Wings and the Columbus Blue Jackets). Three teams currently out of the playoffs in the Eastern Conference are still in the hunt and have a chance at a playoff berth, albeit slim (the New Jersey Devils, the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Washington Capitals). In the Western Conference, six teams have clinched a playoff spot, (the St. Louis Blues, the Colorado Avalanche, the Chicago Blackhawks, the Anaheim Ducks, the Los Angeles Kings and the Anaheim Ducks). The Minnesota Wild and the Dallas Stars are currently holding down the final two wildcard spots with the Phoenix Coyotes sitting in ninth place, just one back for the eighth and final playoff spot. The playoffs are set to begin April 16.

Hamilton wins Bahrain Grand Prix

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton narrowly beat out his teammate Nico Rosberg at the

Bahrain Grand Prix on Sunday, finishing the race just one second faster than Rosberg. Force India driver Sergio Perez rounded out the podium, finishing third.

Despite the win for Hamilton, Rosberg is still leading the drivers’ championship in points with 61. Hamilton is in second place with 50 points so far in this F1 season.

The next race is in Shanghai on Sunday, April 20.