Letter to the Editor: BDS

I’m glad to see Concordia students like Bradley Martin standing up against the despicable BDS movement. BDS is nothing more than a vicious attempt by misguided Antisemites to discredit the only just democracy in the Middle East: Israel.

While I’ll agree that being opposed to Israel or having issues with its policies does not necessarily equal Antisemitism, the BDS movement is inherently Anti-Jewish. It’s about trying to deprive Jews of their livelihood, not oppose government policies. And it is a massive failure.

Regardless of the fact that BDS is laughable and will never succeed in its goal of erasing Jews from the Middle East, it still must be opposed. The sheer stupidity of the movement is well explained by Martin (will the CSU have all Intel chip removed from the university?). This movement intentionally ignores atrocities around the world and attacks Israel simply because it is a Jewish state.

As the students of Concordia did when I was there in the 2000-2004, I believe they will wake up to the absurdity of their student government’s support of Antisemitism and, if not topple the CSU as we did back then, at least prevent it from embarrassing our school any further.

It’s no secret that year after year the CSU is hijacked by the extreme left because the vast majority of students believe it’s a complete waste of time and energy and ignore it. Once in a while, however, the CSU becomes such an embarrassment that the general population has to get step up and take it down.

Seems like that time is coming again.

Noah Sidel
BA journalism ’04

3 comments

1. This article is ridiculous. BDS supporters are not trying to wipe out
    Jews from the Middle East. And Israel being the only liberal democracy
    in the Middle East does not mean its treatment of the Palestinian
    population is okay. The CSU, if it officially opposes Israel, is not
    being antisemitic. There is nothing antisemitic about opposing the
    actions of a imperialistic government that’s trying to push out people
    of another race. By that logic, opposing Saudia Arabia is being
    islamophobic. Are you islamophobic?

1. Actually if you listen to the lies spewed by the “yes” campaign, especially regarding the necessity for Israel to cease to exist and its apartheid nature, you will see that it is actually anti-Israel and not anti Israeli policies. The people make the campaign and not the other way around.