Concordia Stingers women’s soccer team beats Bishop’s Gaiters 3-0

The women’s soccer team will have a new coach for the first time in 16 years. Archive photo by Alex Hutchins.

Forward Sarah Humes scores team-leading fourth goal of the season in win

The Concordia Stingers women’s soccer team beat the Bishop’s Gaiters 3-0 at Concordia Stadium on Oct. 1.

The Stingers got off to a fast start as midfielder Claudia Asselin scored in the second minute.

“Scoring this early into the game allowed us to control the game easier,” said head coach Jorge Sanchez.

Veteran midfielder Alice Grandpierre scored her first goal of the year before the end of the half to give the Stingers a two-goal lead at halftime.

Midfielder Alice Grandpierre runs with the ball against the Bishop’s Gaiters on Oct. 1. Photo by Alex Hutchins.

Sanchez credited the fast start to the use of tactics that he usually only employs towards the end of the game.
“We tied them last game in a game I thought we dominated, so I thought that trying this more aggressive approach would be an interesting way to start,” Sanchez explained. “You have to adjust your tactics based on the team that you are playing.”

The Gaiters responded to the Stingers’ early offensive push by playing a more defensive game. Sanchez’s tactic paid off as the Stingers won with their biggest margin of victory this season.

Midway through the second half, Stingers striker Sarah Humes scored to officially put the game out of reach for the Gaiters. With her fourth goal of the season, Humes took the lead in goals for the Stingers this season.

“I think the game went very well. It was the first game that we really dominated this season, and we got the result,” Humes said. “I really think the fast start gave us confidence as a team to continue executing.”

“We added diversity with our scoring today—it’s great for this team as it will give us more confidence going forward,” Humes added.

In addition to a strong offence, the Stingers defence was clicking and only allowed the Gaiters to take four shots all game. Stevie Ferrara, who is listed as a forward on the Stingers website, played defence, starting at the centre back position. She played a big role in helping keeper Gabriela Angoso Jimenez secure the shutout.

The Stingers aggressive offence allowed the defence to relax and allowed the whole team to completely control the game at their own pace.

“This game was a solid team effort. No individual really stood out,” Sanchez said. “Everybody did their job, and we had success as a team.”

The Stingers improve to a 2-3-3 record and moved up to fourth place in the Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ) with nine points. Their next game is away on Oct. 13 against the Université de Québec à Montréal Citadins.

Main photo by Alex Hutchins.

A previous version of this article incorrectly named Carmen Milne as the Stingers goalie. Gabriela Angoso Jimenez was the goalie for the game against the Bishop’s Gaiters. The Concordian regrets the error.