Two new councillors for council of representatives

While the outcome for the CSU presidency remains unknown, results for the two available seats in the council of representatives have been announced.
One seat was available in both fine arts and engineering and computer science, with one candidate nominated to fill each.
Former councillor and CSU President Sabrina Stea nabbed the seat for fine arts, garnering 71.2 per cent of the vote from a pool of 316 yes or no votes that were cast. 108 abstentions were tabulated, and there were only four spoiled votes.
Meanwhile, computer science and engineering sent Chae Dickie-Clark to council, with 74.7 per cent of the vote out of 332 yes or no votes tallied. There were 328 abstentions and 20 spoiled ballots.
Like Stea, Dickie-Clark has previous experience as a CSU councillor.
Stea said she will vigilantly promote the interests of fine arts students. “I’m focusing on dealing with the situation to give them more outlets to create and present their work, and to provide them with more funding.”
She added that fine arts students are often required to purchase their own basic supplies such as paper, and in the case of photography, developing chemicals.
“Basically we’re dealing with fees and not having resources reflected by those fees,” she said.
As for the lack of competition for the seats, Stea stated that perhaps students are not aware of the different roles and responsibilities in the CSU, an opinion echoed by Chief Electoral Officer Jessica Lajambe.
“I think it is either a lack of interest of participating in student politics, or, I don’t think a lot of people understand the structure of the CSU,” said Lajambe.
Stea added that had there been another candidate vying for the fine arts seat, she would not have run.
The council seats became available after their previous occupants failed to meet their obligations to council. Councillors who miss three regular CSU meetings lose their seat.
Elizabeth Powell of the faculty of fine arts, and Nancy Paliotti of computer science and engineering, were dismissed from council at a regular meeting held in October.
The results of the vote for the seats and the election of Stea and Dickie-Clark to council are expected to be ratified at the next regular CSU council meeting on Dec. 12.