Women clinch first, heading into playoffs

The Concordia women’s hockey team got some revenge with a 2-1 victory over the McGill Martlets this past Friday at Ed Meagher Arena to clinch first place in the QSSF and a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

Genevieve Dupuis scored the winning goal with 8:36 left in the game to lift the second-ranked Stingers over a third-ranked Martlet squad that handed them their only loss of the regular season early last month.

The game’s other goals came from Concordia’s Dominic Rancour and McGill’s Kristen Leuszler.

Cecilia Anderson put in another stung performance for the Stingers by turning away 21 of 22 shots.

“That win certainly puts us in the driver’s seat and very comfortable heading into the playoffs,” Head Coach Les Lawton said.

In their second game of the weekend the Stingers obliterated the Carleton Ravens in a 13-0 blowout at Ed Meagher on Sunday.

Concordia’s offence was led by Karine Bombardier, formerly of Ottawa University, who scored five goals in the game. “She’s been getting tons of chances the last three or four games and hasn’t been able to finish,” Lawton said of Bombardier. “She’s playing well and if she gets hot she’s almost unstoppable.”

The Stingers will head into playoff action next Friday when they seek to win a provincial championship.

From there the team will head into the Nationals which are being hosted by McGill.