Six Stingers named football All-Canadians

In Brief

The Concordia Stingers continued to nab individual honors as the offensive and defensive All-Canadians were named on Monday and Tuesday.

Five Stingers were named to the first-team, more than any other university, while they added one more to the second-team.

As was expected of them at the beginning of the season, punter Mike Renaud and kicker Warren Kean were both named to the first-team. Both QUFL all-stars, the duo exceeded all expectations this season and were the best special teams unit in Canada. Renaud, who also played reciever for the Stingers, was named an all-canadian for the second year in a row.

On defence, President’s trophy nominee, Patrick Donovan headlines three Stingers chosen to the first-team. Donovan, half-back Sammy Okpro and cornerback Modibo Sidibe were also named to the team. Donovan is the QUFL’s nominee for defensive player of the year, an award his brother Mickey won last year.

Scott Syvret, QUFL Most Outstanding Player and nominee for the Hec Crighton award as CIS Most Outstanding Player, was named the quarterback for the second team.

The major individual awards will be announced on Thursday and Friday at the Vanier Cup fesitivities underway in Hamilton, Ont. The game will feature No.2 ranked Saskatchewan (11-0) against No.3 Wilfrid Laurier (11-0) on Sunday. The game starts at 3 p.m. It means that the game will crown an undefeated National Champion regardless of who wins.

Saskatchewan is coming off of a win against No.1 ranked Laval, breaking the Rouge-et-Or’s run of two straight Vanier Cups. No team has won the Vanier Cup three years in a row. Saskatchewan lost to Laval in last year’s Vanier Cup 7-1. Wilfrid Laurier defeated Acadia in their semi-final matchup.