THE BUZZ

Busy Bees at Concordia

Every team was in action this week, including the men’s and women’s soccer teams who got their seasons underway in the Eastern Townships.

The women’s soccer team won their opening game 3-1 against the Bishop’s University Gaiters and drew the Sherbrooke Vert et Or in a scoreless game.

The men’s soccer team opened their season on Sunday against the Sherbrooke Vert et Or. They, too, played to a scoreless tie. (So, no, we didn’t screw up the scores on the top of the page this week.)

The men’s rugby team continued their winning ways, defeating the Bishop’s Gaiters 12-3. The women’s rugby team wasn’t as successful, losing a tightly contested 5-0 game against the Laval Rouge et Or.

Cross country team underway

The Concordia men’s and women’s cross country teams opened their season at the McGill Open on Saturday September 16th. The women managed a 2-1 record against the Quebec conference, which consists of McGill, Laval and Sherbrooke while the men were 0-3.

The women were led by Johanna Winters, who was 17th overall and 4th in the QSSF and Christina Lo Basso, who finished 24th and 8th.

American high school grad Sofiane Guend was the top men’s finisher for Concordia.

Guend led his team with a 13th place conference finish and was 62nd overall against runners from schools in Ontario and the USA. Captain Kyle Verboomen (22nd in Quebec, 100th overall) and veteran Chris Gates (24rd and 107th) were the other top finishers.

Both teams will be back in action in Sherbrooke on Sept. 30.

Geertsen and Okpro honoured

Third-year all-star defender Erica Geertsen of the women’s soccer team and All-Canadian defensive halfback Sammy Okpro of the football team were named Concordia’s men’s and women’s athletes of the week.