Quick Links:   Concordia   Montreal   Quebec   CSU   JMSB   Elections   Science   Score Report   Data   International   Protests   Arts   Music   Events   Photos   Videos   Audio   Francais

New kids on the block: UNITY wins election

By over 1,000 votes, students elected UNITY over Go! Concordia to fill next year’s CSU executive. The UNITY slate features one incumbent from this year’s CSU executive, Angelica Novoa. Novoa, the current VP Services (Clubs and Spaces) is UNITY’s president.

By over 1,000 votes, students elected UNITY over Go! Concordia to fill next year’s CSU executive.

The UNITY slate features one incumbent from this year’s CSU executive, Angelica Novoa. Novoa, the current VP Services (Clubs and Spaces) is UNITY’s president. Unity also garnered leading spots on the Fine Arts Council, ENCS Council and JMSB Council, while Go Concordia representatives earned top seats on the Arts and Science Council. The initial announcement was made in the presence of some 20 student outside of Reggie’s late Thursday night. UNITY, set to begin its term in September, promises to “make Concordia work for you.”

“We want to bring UNITY back in community,” President Angelica said shortly after learning that she had won. Dejected Go! Concordia VP Seema Shah (Sustainability and Communications) said she felt the votes had been skewed.

“If I had lost in a real democratic vote, I would applaud UNITY and I would say you’ve done a fantastic job and you deserve to be in office,” said Shah. “But until that can be proven, I don’t feel a great sense of loss other than for the student body.”

IMPACT took a more optimistic stance. “We weren’t to able to achieve as much as we had planned,” President Youri Hollier told The Concordian, “But next year we would [hope] for the first party.”

It is the third year that a slate affiliated with the incumbent CSU has been elected. CEO Jason Druker announced results officially last Monday at the Hall building Mezzanine.

-With contributions by Ben Ngai

The CSU handles some $1.6 million dollars of student money annually. Executives and Council preside over student affairs and acts as a link between student groups and university administration.

0

RINGSIDE

Literary Blue: Metropolis book fest is back