Home Sports Bees beat birds in men’s hockey action

Bees beat birds in men’s hockey action

by Archives October 16, 2007

It was a win for the Stingers in their Friday night hockey game against the Carleton Ravens with a final tally of 5-4.
Backup goalie Sheldon Baerg started the game, his first of the season. While it took the first period to get the jitters out, Baerg quickly composed himself and had a much more solid second and third periods.
“It felt really good to finally get in there,” Baerg said. “I just wanted to play my game, and it felt great. The first period I was just really focused on keeping everything out, the second and third I was just doing everything that I know how to do.”
The Stingers came out with the first goal, when halfway through the first Brett Beauchamp tapped the puck in after assists from Marc-André Rizk and Ron Smith.
Carleton evened the score soon after, with only 5:47 left in the period. The attack wasn’t over however, with Carleton potting another one only two minutes later. The Stingers broke for first period intermission with a one-goal deficit.
The second period showed more promise for Concordia, with Raven defenseman Ian Greene in the box only 1:57 in. Looking to capitalize on the one-man advantage, veteran Jesse Goodsell fired a cannon shot that went just wide of the net. Success soon followed his solid effort, as him and forward Marc-André Element registered assists in a goal scored by Gabriel Boies halfway through the second.
After the goal, the Stingers managed to kill off three penalties, with a close call coming when a Raven player clanked a shot off the goal post with only 3:22 left in the second. The Stingers held the game at a 2-2 tie to finish the period.
The Stingers held onto that tie for nearly half of the third period, until Raven left-winger Andrew Self was able to jam one past Baerg, with 13:20 remaining on the clock. The goal was a controversial one, with a number of Carleton players driving the net and ending up inside of it.
“I wish the Ref would have done something about it, but it happens,” Baerg said calmly, “No big deal.”
Concordia retaliated on a powerplay, with Goodsell firing a shot that sailed right past the Raven goaltender. With the game tied at 3-3 towards the end of the third, veteran forward Mike Baslyk ensured a lead for the Stingers by scoring with 6:29 left.
The lead was short lived however, as Raven forward Gabriel Perreault scored the tying goal with eighteen seconds left on the clock, forcing the game into overtime. Just 1:04 into overtime, Stinger right wing Rémi Tremblay was called for slashing. The Stingers successfully killed another penalty, and with 1:32 left in the extra period Brett Beauchamp scored the game-winning goal, with Tremblay and Simon Pierre Sauvé earning the assists.
“Am I pleased with the game? Absolutely,” coach Figsby said, “Sheldon Baerg played a fabulous game.he came up with some really key saves.”
While coach Figsby liked the effort he saw, he said that getting a full sixty minutes out of his players is something that still needs work.
“I think we played a solid forty-eight minutes,” he said, pinpointing some weak three and four minute segments throughout the game. “We had a shift in the third period, where we were up by a goal with one minute to go and we had a line that stayed out there way too long.”
But the coach remained happy with the overall performance of his players.
“I’m very proud of the way the guys played, that’s a game in our division that we needed to win,” he said.

Related Articles

Leave a Comment