Lady Stingers battle emotions in memorial game

As the sun set in the background, Concordia’s women’s rugby team played for more than just pride last Wednesday on Loyola Field.
It was the third annual Kelly Anne Drummond Memorial Cup, held each year in memory of the late Stinger, who was tragically murdered in 2004.
“Sentimentally the game is very emotional for all of us,” said head coach Graeme McGravie. “We have a small and tight rugby community so when we lose someone it affects everyone”.
The Stingers came up short in the contest against McGill losing 20-5 in a game that was far closer than the score indicated. The Stingers controlled most of the play but were unable to get through the McGill defensive formation when it counted most.
However, when the final whistle blew, the score was not on people’s minds.
Mel Tranchemontagne is the only current member of the women’s rugby team to have played with Kelly-Anne. With tears in her eyes, Tranchemontagne described her memories.
“She was a sharp and smart player, she was quiet and led by example,” she said. “She was someone I knew that if we were in trouble, she was there. I could always count on her.”
On Oct. 3, 2004, Kelly Anne was stabbed by her boyfriend with a steak knife in the back of her neck, severing her brain stem.
Violence against women continues to be a problem in this country. According to Statistics Canada, seven per cent of adult’s who have been married or in a common-law relationship have experienced violence by a spousal partner in the last 5 years.
With the help of Concordia Athletics, Kelly-Anne’s parents, Doreen Haddad and John Drummond have tried to use their daughter’s death to help others.
“The University contacted us to see if we wanted to have an annual cup in Kelly-Anne’s name to raise money for women’s shelters. And of course we agreed” said Haddad.
Every year, Haddad, Drummond and the Stingers rugby team raise money in the hopes that someone else’ daughter, teammate or friend, can get the help they need before it’s too late.
This year Chez Doris, a woman’s shelter near Atwater metro station, was the recipient.
“It’s good that we can give something to the community,” Haddad said. “There are people out there who are having a rough time and because of fundraisers like this, it just makes it a little easier for them.”
While the president of Chez Doris did not yet know the exact amount of money raised, she said they were very thankful for the generosity of the Concordia community.
“Every little bit of help counts for our women. So we are extremely grateful for the clothing, food and monetary donations we received,” said Catherine Letart, president of the shelter.
Kelly-Anne’s death has brought the Concordia community together behind this wonderful project. For her mother, this is a small antidote to the suffering she goes through every day.
“Its bittersweet, I’ll be honest with you it’s very hard. There have been a lot of Kelly-Anne’s friends here. And it was hard seeing them because Kelly Anne is not here with them,” she said. “It’s sad because my daughter is not here to be talking about all the wonderful things that she would be doing”.
Both Doreen and John pledge that they will continue to support this project.
“We’ll be here, every day until we die” they said.
And what about the Stingers?
“I have great faith that we will bounce back and be the team we really want to be,” said head coach Graeme McGravie.
In her memory, donations can be made to the Kelly-Anne Drummond Memorial Fund through the Soci