Ways to end your cellphone contract

We will all endure a handful of hardships throughout our lifetime. It’s almost certain that nothing will be harder than trying to get out of a cell phone contract.
Companies get your attention with fun advertisements and fancy new handsets at discounted prices. Then they suck you into two and three-year contracts.
Lots of students have a hard time committing to anything for three weeks, let alone three years. Whether you’ve had your phone for a few weeks, months or more, you’ve probably thought about getting out of your contract at least once.
The straightforward way out of a contract is basically the provider sticking their hands far, far into your pockets. Fido and Bell charge the greater of $100 or $20 charge per month left on your contract, to a maximum of $400 for early termination of a contract.
Comparatively, Rogers is a little better; they charge $20 per month remaining, to a maximum of $200.
Here’s the good news: There are cheap ways out, if you have some time on your hands.
Here are a few:
– Watch out for changes to the Service Agreement: A provider reserves the right to change the Service Agreement (the contract) at any time. Even if a change is advantageous (i.e: extra text or picture messages) it is contestable — nobody is obliged to accept changes to a contract.
The provider might be sneaky though – the changes can be cited in fine print on the bill, via a text message from the company or on one of those shiny inserts that everybody throws away before looking at it.
If a Bell, Fido or Rogers subscriber “does not accept” the changes they have 30 days to end the contract.
You’ll probably have to speak to a manager if you try to break your contract this way. Be sure you tell the representative you’re speaking with that the changes are having a negative effect.
Some providers require written notice received before 30 days have passed. Check the terms and conditions of your provider so they don’t take you by surprise.
– Play dead: Providers will cancel a contract if you die. Be sure the company doesn’t ask for a death certificate, though (Fido and Rogers don’t.) But faking your own death might have consequences down the road. You definitely have an easy out if the contract is under the name of someone who has recently died.
– Go online: It’s true: The Internet has everything – even a way to get you out of your contract. There’s a service online that arranges “cell swap” between you and someone else who’s equally disappointed with their plan.
First you enter the details of your current contract. Then you indicate the minutes, cost and length of your ideal plan.
The information goes through a database and finds a match. There’s no fee until the swap is complete.
Something to consider: If you hate your current contract, there’s a good chance you’ll hate another. Cell phone companies invest hundreds of dollars in each customer through advertising and free handsets. Getting the customer to sign a 36-month contract is a way of ensuring they make their money back.
As with most major companies, it’s in their best interest to keep you satisfied. Complaining and threatening might at least get you an upgrade.